Mexican obtains patent for his seawater desalination systemBy Valeria Bigurra Peñavera
With the system the seawater will become potable
After six years of work, Jorge Antonio Lechuga Andrade, has managed to patent his project to desalinate seawater and turn it into potable.
Originally from Merida, Yucatan, the researcher and former director of the Faculty of Chemical Engineering of the Autonomous University of Yucatan (UADY), has managed to patent his invention before national and United States agencies.
Before being able to patent it, it had to comply with certain tests and checks on the system, to compare it with other similar systems in the world, thus demonstrating its originality, innovation and sustainability.
The patents were granted by the Mexican Institute of Intellectual Property (IMPI) and by the United States Patent Office, both of which have a validity of approximately 20 years.
The system uses the technique of centrifugalreverse osmosis with "Dean vortexes" to desalinate seawater to make it drinkable, which makes it low cost, as well as helping to save electricity and has a low impact on the environment.
In the same way, the production costs are much lower, since the same system allows a systematic cleaning of the membranes, an action that in other systems must be done manually.
In addition, once the desalination process is finished, the surplus water is returned to the sea, in order to avoid the impact to the marine flora and fauna.
The system of the Mexican inventor offers many advantages compared to others, reason why in 2015 was awarded with the National Award of the Mexican Institute of Chemical Engineers.
- Mexico launches pioneering scheme to insure its coral reef
- Zacua presents the first Mexican electric car
- European automotive firms ordered to pay fines by PROFEPA
- Mitsubishi Group is wind farm investor
- Mexico's clean energy goals are increasingly ambitious
- Mexico takes care of Whale Shark
- Mexico’s wind farms monitored in Spain
- Mexican video game to support endangered species
- Coahuila to have America's largest solar plant
- Mexican obtains patent for his seawater desalination system
- VerdeVertical, transforming Mexico City
- Domestic solar energy market to grow 150% in 2017: Conermex