Gourmet Awards, recognizing the best of Mexico’s cuisineBy Valeria Bigurra Peñavera
This year from October 14 to 16 the Gourmet Awards will be held in Morelia, Michoacan.
These awards are widely considered as the Oscars of the gastronomy, in them the best restaurants of Mexico are recognized, based on their creativity and the excellence of its cuisine.
Roberto Gutierrez, chief editor of the prestigious magazine Travel + Leisure, has been given the task of touring Mexico, accompanied by a group of experts, in order to find those dishes that make a difference in the daily menu, new concepts that are committed to the essence of Mexican ingredients and that use new preparation techniques.
This competition is driven by Grupo Expansionand led by Gutierrez and seeks to provide national recognition to the restaurants that are elected by the originality that their cooks give to each dish.
According to its creators, "Gourmet Awards were born with the idea of making the cuisine sites in Mexicomore relevant. Since 2011 they have had a very important call, rather than make a list of the best restaurants, they decide to give them recognition, making more noise, leaving Mexico City, to cover the whole country."
Each year the experts visit more than 60 restaurants in more than 17 cities, including Monterrey, Guadalajara, Oaxaca, Tijuana, Merida, among others, and then the pre-selected restaurants are analyzed by a committee of experts related to the food industry, journalists and local diners who know each of the restaurants in each city.
The list of nominated restaurants will be released on September 21, a list that covers 13 categories including tasting menu, aesthetics and logic of flavor, best hotel restaurant and even traditional Mexican cuisine, among others.
Finally in October a special gala will be held in Morelia, Michoacan, where all the chefs who achieved the highest ratings will meet, and will receive the awards.
- Nopal, to the conquest of beer market
- Limantour, one of the best bars in the World
- Rosca de Reyes, tradition with diversity
- Now you will be able to enjoy your favorite chocolate without guilt
- Gourmet Awards 2016 presents its nominees
- Gourmet Awards, recognizing the best of Mexico’s cuisine
- Weekends have a carne asada smell to them
- Zarela Martinez, the Mexican who redefined the American menu
- Guadalajara’s traditional flavors you cannot miss
- Mezcal, the trendiest drink in Mexico
- Top 5 must-try foods in Mexico
- L'Encanto de Lola, experience an "atypical" culinary proposal in Mexico City