Nopal, to the conquest of beer marketBy Valeria Bigurra Peñavera
A beer with lots of health benefits
Nopalea C, is the first beer created with prickly pear cactus (nopal), which has a high fiber content and is a good product for people living with diabetes to consume.
Although this beer is produced in the Czech Republic, 100 percent of the prickly pear used for its production, is harvested in Mexican fields,and now the company in charge of its creation plans to expand its production to Nuevo León, Mexico.
This beer was born in 2012, when the Mexican company Nopalea and the University of Prague, together with the Health system and the Czech cooperative Ardanas decided to create a project together.
Nopalea is a company that has been dedicated to the marketing of dried prickly pear since 2009, and has exported large quantities to Europe, mainly to the Czech Republic.
According to Miguel Angel Davila, director of Nopalea, a company originally from Nuevo León, the Czech cooperative Ardanas originally used their product to make gourmet bread, and later showed interest in creating other products.
When they first came up with the idea, they began working on the formula to include prickly pear flour in the beer production process, and after a year and a half of work they succeeded, and thus they created the first beer with nopal, which was first presented in Prague and later in Mexico.
Nopal has many medicinal properties, and consequently this beer also possesses them, among them is that it helps to stabilize glucose levels, to prevent the excess sugar in the blood to turn into fat and also has natural antibiotics, among many other attributes.
Nopalea C has a 4.8 percentage of alcohol and for the moment it can only be obtained in Mexico City, Yucatan, Quintana Roo, Guerrero, Baja California and Nuevo Leon, but it is expected that it will soon be available in more states of Mexico.
In the future, the company hopes to position the beer nationally, and then start a project with which they plan to enter the Latin market in the United States.
Also from the Czech Republic, they hope to continue promoting this beer in Europe, and keep showcasing all the helpfuladvantages of the consumption of products made with Prickly Pear.
- Mexican wins Australian cooking contest
- Chef Enrique Olvera receives Global Gastronomy Award 2017
- Nopal, to the conquest of beer market
- Limantour, one of the best bars in the World
- Rosca de Reyes, tradition with diversity
- Now you will be able to enjoy your favorite chocolate without guilt
- Gourmet Awards 2016 presents its nominees
- Gourmet Awards, recognizing the best of Mexico’s cuisine
- Weekends have a carne asada smell to them
- Zarela Martinez, the Mexican who redefined the American menu
- Guadalajara’s traditional flavors you cannot miss
- Mezcal, the trendiest drink in Mexico