"Alternative" therapies against winter depressionBy Jesús Sierra
About 10% of Mexicans suffer from this disorder.
According to the National Institute of Public Health, during the holiday period the cases of "Seasonal Affective Disorder" increase, which affects 10% of the Mexican population. The psychotherapist Alberto Ramales explains that some therapies gain ground to reduce the suffering.
Means considered by some to be alternative - such as acupuncture, hypnosis, or healing through the invocation of spirits or angels - are some of the therapies that help people with this disorder, the psychotherapist said.
The scientific basis for these treatments is that "these therapies regulate chemicals such as dopamine, a neurotransmitter related to the sensation of pleasure or happiness, something that is not in this season due to the effects of the climate," explained Alberto Ramales.
In a press release, he explained that with the arrival of winter the days become shorter and there is less sun intensity, which makes people spend less time outdoors and reduces the production of chemicals related to pleasure, which in some cases can lead to depression.
"People are more likely to resort to alternative therapies to regulate their body, because they know that they are dealing with winter-related depressions, rather than feeling the need to take psychological therapy," he said.
Whether it’s perfectly fine to resort to this kind of therapy to deal with the winter blues, the specialist recommended that people diagnosed with a disorder come with properly certified therapists.
- Mexico is the largest luxury market in Latin America
- Cielito Lindo breaks Spotify record after national team’s victory
- SURVEY: MEXICO WILL GRIND TO A HALT DURING WORLD CUP
- Floyd Mayweather regains title as world's top earning athlete
- Some patients are in pain, some just want drugs. How do doctors tell them apart?
- Buffett, Zuckerberg & Bezos Lose Billions As Dow Drops Over 1,000 Points
- Big American automakers ask Trump to stick with NAFTA
- Did you lose your pet? Find it with your cell phone
- The Moon, Mars and the Mexicans that will help us reach space
- Border wall will join the Guinness World Records
- Mexican students create organic solution to eliminate cholesterol
- Careers of the future are overlooked by the youth