Huitlacoche could control diabetesBy Valeria Bigurra Peñavera
A study seeks to reveal the great benefits that this fungus could have on health
Diabetes is a disease that afflicts Mexican society, and faced with this problem, Fidel Guevara Lara, a researcher at the Department of Chemistry of the Autonomous University of Aguascalientes (UAA), is conducting a study that seeks to verify that huitlacoche could help control this disease.
Huitlacoche is a parasitic fungus of maize, which has several functionalities, among which is serving as food, and Guevara has studied it for several years to discover its possible functional applications.
Currently, his team is interested in observing the effects of this fungus on human health, to see if it is good for diabetes, reduce blood cholesterol, reduce blood glucose, and improve the physiological state of the Person who consumes it in general.
According to a press release from the National Council of Science and Technology (Conacyt), several chemical tests have been carried out to quantify the components of huitlacoche, such as antioxidants, carbohydrates, dietary fiber, phenolics and melanin.
Research has revealed that Huitlacoche is highly antioxidant, it has high amounts of some soluble carbohydrates, relative to other foods, and this is good for the intestinal flora.
The tests were performed in diabetic rats, who were given a diet with Huitlacoche, after which they were significantly benefited, particularly if it was cooked at the time of ingestion.
The result of the experiment was that the rats showed decreased blood glucose, and it was also found to reduce the levels of enzymes used to measure liver function integrity, which means less damage to the liver.
Other results showed an increase in energy in blood, and organs of healthy and diabetic rats, increases ATP, which is a molecule that indicates the energy in the body.
The study will continue to be done on animals at the moment, and later theresearchers will seek to begin testing in humans.
If the study is successful, this could benefit hundreds of people suffering from this disease that afflicts the world nowadays.
- Buffett, Zuckerberg & Bezos Lose Billions As Dow Drops Over 1,000 Points
- Big American automakers ask Trump to stick with NAFTA
- Did you lose your pet? Find it with your cell phone
- The Moon, Mars and the Mexicans that will help us reach space
- Border wall will join the Guinness World Records
- Mexican students create organic solution to eliminate cholesterol
- Careers of the future are overlooked by the youth
- Roomie Bot, the perfect helper for household work
- Meet this new anti-aging dessert
- Mexico seen as potential leader in medical marijuana research
- Mexicans will use solar energy to process foods
- Mexican innovation to eliminate the use of trans fat