Mexican cinema recovers record revenuesBy Elliot Bullman
In 2016, national film production had revenues of more than 1.2bn pesos and reached one of its best moments in recent history.
30 million tickets sold and $1.2bn pesos at the box office are the preliminary figures with which Mexican cinema closed in 2016, a year of recovery with which it has equalled the record revenues it achieved in 2013.
2013 was a record year for Mexican cinema with 30 million tickets, but the only problem of the so-called "Derbez year" was that half of the revenues came from just his film alone No Returns which sold 16 million tickets and more than 600 million pesos, while the other productions did not achieve good results.
However, in 2016 Mexican cinema distributed six films that managed to each exceed a million tickets sold and eight surpassed 500,000 tickets, which is good news.
Four films exceeded 100 million peso barrier at the box office: ¿Que Culpa Tiene el Niño? with $277.8 million, No manches Frida, with $222.3 million, Treintona Soltera y Fantástica, $135.6 million and La Leyenda del Chupacabras(The legend of Chupacabras), came behind just a bit under with $99.4 million.
In 2016 160 Mexican films were produced; The government, through funds and incentives, supported the production of 80 feature films and 29 short films.
The cinema constitutes 8.4% of the total of the audiovisual media and 0.03 of the GDP of the economy of the country. In Mexico, the film industry has grown above the national economy, being almost seven times more dynamic than the whole economic activity of the country.
According to data from Imcine, the film industry generated 2,630 jobs and paid 274 $million pesos in remunerations. Film production requires inputs from 97 industries within the economy.
- Some patients are in pain, some just want drugs. How do doctors tell them apart?
- Buffett, Zuckerberg & Bezos Lose Billions As Dow Drops Over 1,000 Points
- Big American automakers ask Trump to stick with NAFTA
- Did you lose your pet? Find it with your cell phone
- The Moon, Mars and the Mexicans that will help us reach space
- Border wall will join the Guinness World Records
- Mexican students create organic solution to eliminate cholesterol
- Careers of the future are overlooked by the youth
- Roomie Bot, the perfect helper for household work
- Meet this new anti-aging dessert
- Mexico seen as potential leader in medical marijuana research
- Mexicans will use solar energy to process foods