'Plena', looking to promote Mexican culture through sportswearBy Valeria Bigurra Peñavera
The Rarámuri, Huichol and Lacandona ethnic groups inspire the designs of the brand.
Mexico is a pluticultural nation, due to the large number of ethnic groups that inhabit this territory. However, many times the population forgets to look at indigenous peoples, who are a fundamental part of our history.
Given this premise, various fashion companies and others dedicated to various activities, have decided to take several indigenous-inspired elements together with current components,fostering the union between traditional and modern, with the purpose of keeping this part of Mexico alive.
Such is the case of "Plena", a new brand of Mexican sportswear that has been inspired by the culture of Mexican towns like raramuri, wixarica and lacandon, looking forward that those who wear these pieces will do so with pride of their roots.
The "Raíces" (lit. roots) collection is made up of sweatshirts, leggings, tops and shorts, which have designs inspired by the indigenous peoples of Mexico, and according to Paulina Abdala, creator of the concept, with their garments they are looking to "inspire women to live their life fully and to be proud of their roots ".
These clothes are inspired by Mexican aesthetics, and with their designs they seek to offer comfort to those who wear them, as well as a percentage of the sales of these products will be destined to the support of the Raramuris, Wixaric and Lacandon peoples.
Finally, it is important to mention that according to the creator of the brand, Plena is an inclusive company, which seeks to contribute to women through their garments, and at the same time generate a sense of belonging.
- Mexico is the largest luxury market in Latin America
- Cielito Lindo breaks Spotify record after national team’s victory
- SURVEY: MEXICO WILL GRIND TO A HALT DURING WORLD CUP
- Floyd Mayweather regains title as world's top earning athlete
- Some patients are in pain, some just want drugs. How do doctors tell them apart?
- Buffett, Zuckerberg & Bezos Lose Billions As Dow Drops Over 1,000 Points
- Big American automakers ask Trump to stick with NAFTA
- Did you lose your pet? Find it with your cell phone
- The Moon, Mars and the Mexicans that will help us reach space
- Border wall will join the Guinness World Records
- Mexican students create organic solution to eliminate cholesterol
- Careers of the future are overlooked by the youth