Rodrigo Prieto, heading to the OscarBy Valeria Bigurra Peñavera
The Mexican filmmaker might be nominated for his work on "Silence"
The Hollywood awards season has begun, and in anticipation of the Oscars, many have been the predictions about potential candidates, among which is the talented Mexican film photographer Rodrigo Prieto.
Variety magazine, one of the most important film magazines, launched its Oscar predictions and bets that the photographer will be representing Mexico in the next edition of the acclaimed awards.
Prieto could be nominated for his work in Silence, directed by Martin Scorsese, written by Jay Cocks and starring Liam Neeson and Andrew Garfield, which tells the story of two Jesuit priests facing violent persecution when they travel to Japan, to seek their mentor to spread the teachings of Christianity.
To make the photograph of this film Prieto had to use various methods that could be considered unusual like the use of candles as source of illumination in diverse scenes.
Since moving to Hollywood in 2000, he has worked in various productions with directors such as Oliver Stone, Alejandro González Iñárritu, Ang Lee and Martin Scorsese.
This would be the second nomination of Rodrigo Prieto, because a few years ago he was nominated for his work in the film "Brokeback Mountain" by director Ang Lee.
During his career, Preito was also part of the renaissance of Mexican cinema through his work in films such as "Amores Perros", "21 Gramos", "Babel" and "Biutiful", between 2000 and 2010.
Other films he has worked on include: Ben Affleck's Oscar winner "Argo", Spike Lee's "25th hour", Curtis Hanson's "8 Mile", and this is his second time working with Martin Scorsese, because he also collaborated in the film "The Wolf of Wall Street".
The Oscar nominees will be announced on January 24, while the awards will be held on February 26, and this year's host will be Jimmy Kimmel.
- Buffett, Zuckerberg & Bezos Lose Billions As Dow Drops Over 1,000 Points
- Big American automakers ask Trump to stick with NAFTA
- Did you lose your pet? Find it with your cell phone
- The Moon, Mars and the Mexicans that will help us reach space
- Border wall will join the Guinness World Records
- Mexican students create organic solution to eliminate cholesterol
- Careers of the future are overlooked by the youth
- Roomie Bot, the perfect helper for household work
- Meet this new anti-aging dessert
- Mexico seen as potential leader in medical marijuana research
- Mexicans will use solar energy to process foods
- Mexican innovation to eliminate the use of trans fat