What is the “Aguinaldo”?By Elliot Bullman
Mexican Christmas bonus... Great financial benefit
Once of the many benefits of living in Mexico is that services are much less expensive than in the USA or Canada, meaning that many people who own a home in Puerto Vallarta can employ a maid, gardener or handyman to help with chores around the house.
Now that the holiday season has arrived, it is a good time to discuss “Aguinaldo,” the Mexican Christmas bonus due to all employees, including the domestic staff that help make life so easy and convenient for many of us. Under Mexican law, all employees (including maids, gardeners, cooks) deserve a Christmas bonus. It also is an important way to show your appreciation for their hard work and to help build a strong relationship.
Employees are entitled by law to receive 15 days pay for their Christmas bonus. So, for example, if you have your housekeeper visit your home 2 times per week, her Christmas bonus should be equal to 4 days of her usual daily rate, or two weeks of her normal salary. The Christmas bonus must also be paid by December 20th, so be sure to check your calendar to pay his/her bonus prior to that date.
And while not required by law, it is common practice to include a small Christmas gift to those that work in your home. Candy, flowers, perfume or a gift basket of treats would all be appropriate types of gifts, but certainly use your imagination and your personal relationship with your maid or gardener as your guide.
- Buffett, Zuckerberg & Bezos Lose Billions As Dow Drops Over 1,000 Points
- Big American automakers ask Trump to stick with NAFTA
- Did you lose your pet? Find it with your cell phone
- The Moon, Mars and the Mexicans that will help us reach space
- Border wall will join the Guinness World Records
- Mexican students create organic solution to eliminate cholesterol
- Careers of the future are overlooked by the youth
- Roomie Bot, the perfect helper for household work
- Meet this new anti-aging dessert
- Mexico seen as potential leader in medical marijuana research
- Mexicans will use solar energy to process foods
- Mexican innovation to eliminate the use of trans fat