Abraham Levy arriving to the shores of Cancun after 150 days at seaBy Dania Vargas Austryjak
Mexican man who is making history!
Following the track that Columbus took to reach the American continent, Abraham Levy, an adventurous man, is about to complete a 5 month journey from Spain to Mexico on an Ocean Rowing Boat, named Cascarita… A life-changing quest he embarked upon, all on his own, with one sole purpose at mind: To raise awareness for the conservation of the Mesoamerican Barrier Reef System.
Levy began his journey on October 2014 departing from Palos de la Frontera, Spain aboard an Ocean Rowing Boat (ORB) equipped with all the technology needed for the expedition, food, a sleeping area, and the willing attitude to conclude the challenge of crossing the Atlantic Ocean… The challenge was to use his own strength, resistance and endurance to navigate over 5,600 miles across the seas.
His main interest is to raise awareness for the conservation of the second largest coral reef, the Mesoamerican Barrier Reef System for what he got sponsors before and during the journey to pay for his needs. Part of the proceeds will be donated to The Nature Conservacy (TNC), an environmental organization on the mission to conserve the lands and waters on which all life depends.
The boat he’s navigating on is equipped with everything he could need, such as of localization technology, tracking device, satellite telephone, radio, etc. He also took off with a little over 1500 lbs. of dehydrated food and a 2 desalination plants so he could drink all the clean water necessary.
He is constantly supervised and monitored by his team on land, given he is by himself on the ORB and has been keeping contact by recording podcasts and receiving phone interviews. As well as keeping a travel log where he shared his everyday experience of this amazing and incredible journey.
Abraham is a true adventurer who was born in Colima, Mexico and is the first man and only so far to front such challenging task. He has been exploring Mexico since he was 26 and he has in fact traveled the entire coast of Mexico on a kayak.
Abraham Levy’s arrival is expected to be at 10 am at Marina CHAC CHI in the coast of Cancun, Quintana Roo. We are very excited and hoping him the best in the final stretch of his journey.
- Trump backs down and signs executive order to 'keep families together'
- Despite uncertainty about the election, Mexico continues to attract investments
- On Saturday, repaving works start in Cancun’s hotel zone
- Mexican entrepreneurship project receives award in France
- Mexico's foreign minister and business leaders express outrage over ‘inhumane’ US immigration policy
- The Dow Jones industrial average turned negative as global trade war fears mount
- Canada legalizes recreational cannabis use
- EU to retaliate against US with counter-tariffs on Friday
- Mexican national team football shirt is best seller in the United States
- Scorpion catching is a dangerous trade that allows Durango’s locals to survive.
- Rafael Márquez , is only the third player in history to achieve the feat of playing in 5 world cups
- It’s not just in football that Mexico is superior to Germany