Cancer Prevention VaccineBy
Mexican and American scientists develop a drug to prevent malignant tumors.
A joint collaboration between specialists from USA and Mexico resulted in a remedy for one of the most devastating diseases, which kills 75,000 every year.
Prior to this treatment, there was no way of preventing cancer, with early detection being the only chance of overcoming it. There is now new hope thanks to specialists from Washington University and the National Cancer Research Center of Sonora.
This milestone medical advancement was presented in the 32nd Annual Meeting of the Cancer Treatment National Institute (Incan) which takes place in the Mexican city of Merida, Yucatan.
This is the first drug capable of not only preventing the formation of malignant tumors, but also preventing a relapse for patients who go through treatment.
Cancer is a silent enemy that diminishes health, often without noticeable symptoms. This causes the patient to seek treatment, sometimes when the illness is in an advanced stage.
Juan Pablo Márquez, an oncologist at Washington University and head of this bi-national project, explained that some of the deadliest types of cancer are colon and ovarian, which is why the first application of this drug aims at prevention.
According to Márquez, this vaccine stimulates the immunological system, making it react metabolically against malignant cells, which in turn allows the body to eliminate them.
The drug has proven to be efficient even with “hidden” cells known as pre-malignant (cells that are highly susceptible of developing cancer).
Approximately US $20 million have been allocated to the study of each tumor. But the fact is that this research, which started fourteen years ago, is delivering unprecedented results, as four hundred Mexican cancer patients who overcame the illness and submitted themselves to this treatment haven’t shown any further signs of a relapse.
The scientists believe that in approximately five years this treatment will be part of the conventional vaccination record for children and adults.
Reducing the risk of cancer is in our hands and the following are some simple recommendations from Incan:
1.-Avoid consuming tobacco and alcohol.
2.- Don’t expose yourself to sunrays for long periods.
3.- Keep a balanced diet.
4.-Get vaccinated for hepatitis or human papilloma virus (HPV).
5.- Visit your physician on a regular basis and get a checkup.
6.- Avoid a sedentary lifestyle and exercise regularly.
- Spain and Mexico’s Trade Relations Curdle over Manchego Dispute
- Cape Town Water crisis: 'Day Zero' Draws Near
- MORGAN STANLEY: Here are the 6 internet stocks to bet on in 2018
- Ford announces $11B investment, 40 electrified vehicles by 2022 at Detroit Motor Show
- Automobile Revenues will fall 40% due to Electric and Autonomous Vehicles
- Mexico debuts its best startups for 2018 at CES
- Inside the Secret Society Running the World of Cryptocurrency
- Opinion: Who Will Profit Off the Next Crash?
- This is how Jeff Bezos will support the 'dreamers'
- Oil Reaches $70 a Barrel for First Time in Three Years
- Peso predicted to make comeback in 2018: Bloomberg
- Chihuahua´s governor denounces Government reprisals for PRI corruption investigation