The Cancun International Marathon is ready to start!
The date is set: December 6th 2014 at 4 pm!
The city of Cancun is calling for a big celebration! The 30th edition of the Cancun International Marathon –the second oldest in Mexico- is just about to begin, and this year’s is extra special since it will have around 2,500 eager participants, who will run for a substantial cash prize! In fact, it’s estimated that this year’s event will be one of the largest, ever!
The logistics has been fully set. Numbers are currently being handed down to participants, along with their running kit (Tshitrs, water bottles and more). Almost everything is ready to start this daring race.
The day is just around the corner, and this year’s event expects to be much more competitive than previous occasions. Participants and competitors have been training for months and even years. To expand across a larger range of athletes, the race will have three stages: 5Km, 21km and 42km (this is the longitude of the Cancun Hotel Zone and a little bit more!).
One of the things that competitors must fight against during the race, and probably the greatest challenge, is the weather. Even though the competition is set to be by the afternoon, Cancun’s climate conditions are somewhat of a complication, since humidity levels may raise from 70 to 80%!
To avoid dehydration during this race, the Cancun Institute of Sport has established hydration (or water) points every 2 Km., which consist of tables with fresh water, and medical assistance, in case it should be needed. By the end of every race (5km, 21km and 42km), there will be a large table with drinks and fresh fruits available for competitors, which will be set to their recovery after a long run!
The marathon will start at 4:00 PM at the Antonio Enriquez Savignac Street at Malecon Tajamar, being the finish line La Rambla Avenue located in the Malecon Tajamar too.
Some of the events related with the marathon, are the following: the traditional Carbs Dinner for competitors. This will take placed on Friday night at the B2B Hotel, and is an initiative that means to encourage athletes before the big day!
Other activities during the actual day include: games for children, NFL stands, music and a Japan Expo (to pay special tribute to the Japan in Cancun Cultural Event, which celebrates 400 years from the Hasekura Mission). To close the event, the city council will cut a commemorative cake to celebrate the 30th anniversary of the Cancun International Marathon… So it doesn’t matter if you’re competing or not, if you’re cheering along or not, there are several options for everyone to enjoy a fun day out and do something different!
The Cancun International Marathon is a sporting event that was created in 1985, by The National Trust Fund for Tourism (FONATUR), with the intention of strengthening the image of the city. Back in those days, 300 athletes participated and today, the marathon has turned into a great tradition! Year after year, the city holds hundreds of athletes that visit Cancun from all over the country and even Europe, US and Canada to participate!
- “Sudan” the world’s last male white rhino dies in Africa
- Facebook tracks a scary number of details about you
- Cambridge Analytica suspends CEO amid uproar over Facebook data leak
- “Yucatan’s good public safety is attracting foreign direct investment”
- By 2021, at least 40% of Latin America's GDP will be digitized: IDC
- China’s ride-hailing giant Didi Chuxing is planning to hit Uber where it hurts
- Migrations will increase by 2050 due to climate change: Central Bank
- Warrant Sought to Inspect Cambridge Analytica
- Why Pompeo will be key to Trump’s policy towards North Korea and Iran
- United Kingdom expels 23 Russian diplomats in the wake of former spy poisoning
- Apple and Disney Place First and Second with Millennials in 2018 Brand Affinity Study
- Trump Inspects Border Wall Prototypes in California