Still sore about the Gasolinazo?By Elliot Bullman
Motorists turn to biofuel in effort to save on gasoline
After just three days in operation, a new gas station in Tlaxcala, Mexico selling an ethanol blendhad to shut down temporarily due to the popularity of its prices.
Adolfo Fernández, owner of the first Oxifuel gas stationin the state, began offering thealternative fuel — a 50-50 mixof normal gasoline and sugarcane ethanol — at 13 pesos per litre.
The ethanol has to be mixed with gasoline given its high octane ratingof 113. Regular gasolines such asmagna and premium have an octane ratingof 87 and 92 points, respectively.
Once the ethanol iscombined with gasoline the octane ratingof Oxifuel’s product is pared down to between 95 and 97 and can power normalengines, with the added benefit of reducing emissions.
Fernández explained that the biofuel does not harm engines and that with the market still reeling after last week’sbig price hike, its popularity among consumers has increased.
After three days of operations, his fuel allocation of 4,000 litres was depleted and Fernández had to temporarily shut down his one-pump gas station.
“People accepted ethanol. In just three days I ran out and I’m waiting for a new shipment in the coming days,”Fernández said, observing that Pemex stations in the area were selling Premium for more than 17 pesos a litre.
Oxifuel operates 57 stations in the states of Veracruz, Oaxaca, Puebla, Morelos, México, Hidalgo and Tlaxcala.
- Mexico City, Thirsty and Sinking, Faces a Water Crisis
- Facebook's nightmare is about to get a lot worse
- Walmart opens its first 'Amazon style'store in Mexico
- Cancun 'spring breakers' welcomed with code of conduct
- “Sudan” the world’s last male white rhino dies in Africa
- Facebook tracks a scary number of details about you
- Cambridge Analytica suspends CEO amid uproar over Facebook data leak
- “Yucatan’s good public safety is attracting foreign direct investment”
- By 2021, at least 40% of Latin America's GDP will be digitized: IDC
- China’s ride-hailing giant Didi Chuxing is planning to hit Uber where it hurts
- Migrations will increase by 2050 due to climate change: Central Bank
- Warrant Sought to Inspect Cambridge Analytica