Still sore about the Gasolinazo?By Elliot Bullman
Motorists turn to biofuel in effort to save on gasoline
After just three days in operation, a new gas station in Tlaxcala, Mexico selling an ethanol blendhad to shut down temporarily due to the popularity of its prices.
Adolfo Fernández, owner of the first Oxifuel gas stationin the state, began offering thealternative fuel — a 50-50 mixof normal gasoline and sugarcane ethanol — at 13 pesos per litre.
The ethanol has to be mixed with gasoline given its high octane ratingof 113. Regular gasolines such asmagna and premium have an octane ratingof 87 and 92 points, respectively.
Once the ethanol iscombined with gasoline the octane ratingof Oxifuel’s product is pared down to between 95 and 97 and can power normalengines, with the added benefit of reducing emissions.
Fernández explained that the biofuel does not harm engines and that with the market still reeling after last week’sbig price hike, its popularity among consumers has increased.
After three days of operations, his fuel allocation of 4,000 litres was depleted and Fernández had to temporarily shut down his one-pump gas station.
“People accepted ethanol. In just three days I ran out and I’m waiting for a new shipment in the coming days,”Fernández said, observing that Pemex stations in the area were selling Premium for more than 17 pesos a litre.
Oxifuel operates 57 stations in the states of Veracruz, Oaxaca, Puebla, Morelos, México, Hidalgo and Tlaxcala.
- Canirac seeks to strengthen Mexico´s Restaurant Sector
- Good harvest for the food industry
- The currency that you should have instead of dollars
- Record numbers of deportees seek jobs at call centres
- Carstens Postpones Departure From Bank of Mexico Until November 30th
- Mexico to offer up to $20 billion in forex hedges to aid weakened peso
- Mexico draws closer to Europe
- Mexico open to NAFTA changes but calls border tax "counterproductive"
- Guess who´s back, back again? Ford is back, tell a friend!
- More than 160 countries receive products made in Mexico
- Delta seeks to obtain 49% of Aeromexico
- Would a US trade boycott benefit or harm Mexico?