A cleansing brigade of the Nichupte Lagoon
An initiative that means to cleanse the entire extension of the Nichupte Lagoon in Cancun’s Hotel Zone
The idea of sustainable tourism is a concept that the state of Quintana Roo is constantly looking to introduce, not only because tourists who seek for more environmentally friendly places to rest are increasing, but because it helps maintain the natural resources of the destination.
As part of this initiative, local authorities working together with citizen organizations and the general public launched a cleansing brigade of the Nichupte Lagoon.
This lagoon system covers an area of over three thousand acres and is actually made up of seven bodies of water: the Bojorquez Lagoon, the Mediterranean Lagoon and the Love Lagoon. It is also connected to the sea by two water canals: Sigfrido and Nizuc.
Throughout the years, Nichupte Lagoon has become an iconic spot of Cancun, because here different water activities and tours are held, and even housing projects have been developed in the surrounding areas.
The flora and fauna of the lagoon body are very diverse because you can find frogs, leopards, crocodiles, iguanas, white turtles and four types of mangrove. However, activities that are practiced are very safe because the areas where these species inhabit are fully identified.
On March 15th, 22 to 27 brigades made up of eleven people each, will gather to clean the lagoon, from km 4.5 to km 23 of the hotel zone. This is part of the preservation activities of this important ecosystem.
This is an event for the whole family; each participant will receive a cleaning kit and the company of some authority to supervise each brigade. Boats beached and stranded in the lagoon because of past natural phenomena, will be removed.
- Trump backs down and signs executive order to 'keep families together'
- Despite uncertainty about the election, Mexico continues to attract investments
- On Saturday, repaving works start in Cancun’s hotel zone
- Mexican entrepreneurship project receives award in France
- Mexico's foreign minister and business leaders express outrage over ‘inhumane’ US immigration policy
- The Dow Jones industrial average turned negative as global trade war fears mount
- Canada legalizes recreational cannabis use
- EU to retaliate against US with counter-tariffs on Friday
- Mexican national team football shirt is best seller in the United States
- Scorpion catching is a dangerous trade that allows Durango’s locals to survive.
- Rafael Márquez , is only the third player in history to achieve the feat of playing in 5 world cups
- It’s not just in football that Mexico is superior to Germany