Cozumel: Mexico's first smart destinationBy Dania Vargas Austryjak
Spain and Mexico sharing touristic strategies.
The island of Cozumel, a solid touristic destination in the state of Quintana Roo, has been considered to become a ‘Smart Island’ under Spain’s strategy for upgrading destinations with technology and innovation, following an agreement celebrated earlier this year. The work has already begun and Cozumel is taking its first steps into becoming the first Smart Destination outside of Spain.
What is a Smart Destination? It's a project from Spain’s Ministry of Tourism developed by the State Agency for Management of Innovation and Touristic Technologies (SEGITTUR) to boost tourism, through its next logical evolutionary step: taking technology as a centerpiece, as it has influenced every aspect on how we travel and live. “Mature” destinations are expected to consider accessibility, innovation, sustainability and technology as primordial elements.
This subject has been taking place as a part of Mexico and Spain’s framework of cooperation in which they agreed to share aspects of the industry to improve it. Early this year during Spain’s International Tourism Fair (FITUR), news broke that Cozumel would be undergoing a stage of evaluation and assessment in order to become a Smart Destination. This process will be concluded by the end of June, according to the Mexican Secretariat of Tourism (Sectur).
The ‘Smart Island’ designation would improve Cozumel’s competitiveness and upgrade its touristic position by re-evaluating its potential as a destination. This strategy would make better use of natural and cultural assets, create innovative resources, and improve efficiency in production and distribution processes, resulting in sustainable development.
- Spain and Mexico’s Trade Relations Curdle over Manchego Dispute
- Cape Town Water crisis: 'Day Zero' Draws Near
- MORGAN STANLEY: Here are the 6 internet stocks to bet on in 2018
- Ford announces $11B investment, 40 electrified vehicles by 2022 at Detroit Motor Show
- Automobile Revenues will fall 40% due to Electric and Autonomous Vehicles
- Mexico debuts its best startups for 2018 at CES
- Inside the Secret Society Running the World of Cryptocurrency
- Opinion: Who Will Profit Off the Next Crash?
- This is how Jeff Bezos will support the 'dreamers'
- Oil Reaches $70 a Barrel for First Time in Three Years
- Peso predicted to make comeback in 2018: Bloomberg
- Chihuahua´s governor denounces Government reprisals for PRI corruption investigation