Earth Day is upon us!By Fernanda Duque Hernández
“It’s our turn to lead”
When everybody pitches in anything is possible. The annual celebration of Earth Day on April 22nd is a reminder of this. On this day over a billion people from 190 countries are expected to take action to raise awareness about the environment, wildlife and natural resources. In a few words it is call to take better care of our home.
The first Earth Day was celebrated in 1970 when Gaylord Nelson, a U.S. Senator from Wisconsin, inspired people, mainly professors and students, to join this movement based on the anti-war protests. On the first Earth Day, 20 million people took to the streets of America to force the government to be more conscious abut pollution. This clamor would soon go global.
Since that date, every year non-profit organizations, governments and civil society groups organize activities to raise awareness about environmental issues. Last year the Green Cities campaigns mobilized people to turn cities into more sustainable places to live.
Throughout the years, environmental sustainability has become more important to citizens and policymakers around the world. Every year more people take part in this movement. In 1990, 200 million people from 141 countries participated in Earth Day-related activities. Last year there were over a billion supporters.
Year by year inspired people have designed and created green projects such as the urban agriculture project in Massachusetts, the Seattle underwater turbine, free public solar-powered charging stations and even solar panels for the London’s Big Ben tower. Solar-powered communities have emerged worldwide as well. These and many more initiatives are celebrated and encouraged on Earth Day.
- Spain and Mexico’s Trade Relations Curdle over Manchego Dispute
- Cape Town Water crisis: 'Day Zero' Draws Near
- MORGAN STANLEY: Here are the 6 internet stocks to bet on in 2018
- Ford announces $11B investment, 40 electrified vehicles by 2022 at Detroit Motor Show
- Automobile Revenues will fall 40% due to Electric and Autonomous Vehicles
- Mexico debuts its best startups for 2018 at CES
- Inside the Secret Society Running the World of Cryptocurrency
- Opinion: Who Will Profit Off the Next Crash?
- This is how Jeff Bezos will support the 'dreamers'
- Oil Reaches $70 a Barrel for First Time in Three Years
- Peso predicted to make comeback in 2018: Bloomberg
- Chihuahua´s governor denounces Government reprisals for PRI corruption investigation