Encountering Mexico in UKBy Dania Vargas Austryjak
Travel exhibition of Mexican states in UK breaks records in attendance.
As part of the Dual Year between Mexico and the United Kingdom, a large touristic exhibition, Encuéntrate con México (roughly, Encounter Mexico), was presented from February 25 to March 11 and broke the record for number of visitors in comparison to the exhibition in Madrid and Beijing. It received over 38,000 visitors, all potential travelers to Mexico.
An interactive showcase of Mexico was installed by the Thames River, next to London City Hall last month and invited everyone to Encounter Mexico in a dome measuring 26 meters in diameter and 13 meters tall, with virtual tours showing the best of Mexico’s 32 federal entities.
Within the itinerant exhibition, the most eye-catching element was the Vochol, a Volkswagen Beetle, more colloquially known as the “vocho” in Mexico, displayed covered in small multicolored glass beads called chaquiras, a technique used in the Huichol culture. This particular project required 9,000 hours of work.
The display gathered a little over 38,000 visitors and, according to Milko Rivera, Director of the Tourism Board of Mexico in the UK, only 31% of these people have actually visited Mexico. He stated, quoted in an article in Mexican daily El Universal, that “there’s great potential for the remaining 70% to visit our country.”
Encuéntrate con México was a huge hit with Londoners who enjoyed 3D images, videos, typical clothing, such as the Charro suit and so much more.
- Spain and Mexico’s Trade Relations Curdle over Manchego Dispute
- Cape Town Water crisis: 'Day Zero' Draws Near
- MORGAN STANLEY: Here are the 6 internet stocks to bet on in 2018
- Ford announces $11B investment, 40 electrified vehicles by 2022 at Detroit Motor Show
- Automobile Revenues will fall 40% due to Electric and Autonomous Vehicles
- Mexico debuts its best startups for 2018 at CES
- Inside the Secret Society Running the World of Cryptocurrency
- Opinion: Who Will Profit Off the Next Crash?
- This is how Jeff Bezos will support the 'dreamers'
- Oil Reaches $70 a Barrel for First Time in Three Years
- Peso predicted to make comeback in 2018: Bloomberg
- Chihuahua´s governor denounces Government reprisals for PRI corruption investigation