An Epigraphy Center in Yucatan
The opening of a Russian-Maya Epigraphy Center, called “Yuri Knórosov” in Yucatan
Thanks to the contribution of the State University of Human Science of Russia and the support of the government of Yucatan, the opening of the Russian Maya Epigraphy Center “Yuri Knórosov” was finally concreted.
This study center will help investigators, academics and students from all over the world to develop and spread the knowledge enclosed in these ancient glyphs.
The center began its operations on past March 20th, which is the same date (but in 1994) that the prominent linguist Yuri Knórosov received the decoration of the Order of the Aztec Eagle -the highest decoration awarded to foreigners in the country– due to his research work carried out in 1950 deciphering Maya hieroglyphics.
Up to that date, no other investigator had been able to decipher such intricate Maya symbols; with Knórosov’s publication “Ancient writing of Central America” archeologists were able to have a better understanding of the ancient culture.
Doctor Galina Ershova, director of the Yuri Knórosov Center, stated they will give continuity to the Russian linguist research by elaborating an epigraphic atlas of the state of Yucatan, with the work of the members of the center. This will be carried out by taking high resolution pictures of the glyphs found on steles, murals and buildings to compile them in one publication that will be at reach for the researchers, aiding the study process.
Along with the functions in the study center will also be operating the Casa Rusa – cultural Russian center– offering courses, exhibitions, classes and seminars focused on promoting the Russian culture, encouraging the exchange between Mexico and Russia.
The chancellor of the University, Dr. Efim Pivovar, stated that the academics in the scientific committee of the State University of Human Studies of Russia granted the governor of Yucatan, Rolando Zapata Bello, the honorary degree of Doctor Honoris Causa of the University given his efforts in regards of the construction of the institution.
- Mexico City, Thirsty and Sinking, Faces a Water Crisis
- Facebook's nightmare is about to get a lot worse
- Walmart opens its first 'Amazon style'store in Mexico
- Cancun 'spring breakers' welcomed with code of conduct
- “Sudan” the world’s last male white rhino dies in Africa
- Facebook tracks a scary number of details about you
- Cambridge Analytica suspends CEO amid uproar over Facebook data leak
- “Yucatan’s good public safety is attracting foreign direct investment”
- By 2021, at least 40% of Latin America's GDP will be digitized: IDC
- China’s ride-hailing giant Didi Chuxing is planning to hit Uber where it hurts
- Migrations will increase by 2050 due to climate change: Central Bank
- Warrant Sought to Inspect Cambridge Analytica