An Epigraphy Center in Yucatan
The opening of a Russian-Maya Epigraphy Center, called “Yuri Knórosov” in Yucatan
Thanks to the contribution of the State University of Human Science of Russia and the support of the government of Yucatan, the opening of the Russian Maya Epigraphy Center “Yuri Knórosov” was finally concreted.
This study center will help investigators, academics and students from all over the world to develop and spread the knowledge enclosed in these ancient glyphs.
The center began its operations on past March 20th, which is the same date (but in 1994) that the prominent linguist Yuri Knórosov received the decoration of the Order of the Aztec Eagle -the highest decoration awarded to foreigners in the country– due to his research work carried out in 1950 deciphering Maya hieroglyphics.
Up to that date, no other investigator had been able to decipher such intricate Maya symbols; with Knórosov’s publication “Ancient writing of Central America” archeologists were able to have a better understanding of the ancient culture.
Doctor Galina Ershova, director of the Yuri Knórosov Center, stated they will give continuity to the Russian linguist research by elaborating an epigraphic atlas of the state of Yucatan, with the work of the members of the center. This will be carried out by taking high resolution pictures of the glyphs found on steles, murals and buildings to compile them in one publication that will be at reach for the researchers, aiding the study process.
Along with the functions in the study center will also be operating the Casa Rusa – cultural Russian center– offering courses, exhibitions, classes and seminars focused on promoting the Russian culture, encouraging the exchange between Mexico and Russia.
The chancellor of the University, Dr. Efim Pivovar, stated that the academics in the scientific committee of the State University of Human Studies of Russia granted the governor of Yucatan, Rolando Zapata Bello, the honorary degree of Doctor Honoris Causa of the University given his efforts in regards of the construction of the institution.
- Spain and Mexico’s Trade Relations Curdle over Manchego Dispute
- Cape Town Water crisis: 'Day Zero' Draws Near
- MORGAN STANLEY: Here are the 6 internet stocks to bet on in 2018
- Ford announces $11B investment, 40 electrified vehicles by 2022 at Detroit Motor Show
- Automobile Revenues will fall 40% due to Electric and Autonomous Vehicles
- Mexico debuts its best startups for 2018 at CES
- Inside the Secret Society Running the World of Cryptocurrency
- Opinion: Who Will Profit Off the Next Crash?
- This is how Jeff Bezos will support the 'dreamers'
- Oil Reaches $70 a Barrel for First Time in Three Years
- Peso predicted to make comeback in 2018: Bloomberg
- Chihuahua´s governor denounces Government reprisals for PRI corruption investigation