Facebook acquires facial recognition companyBy Valeria Bigurra Peñavera
With it, it will seek to compete against its rival Snapchat
Facebook announced on Wednesday the acquisition of FacioMetrics, a new facial recognition company with which it will try to compete against Snapchat.
FacioMetrics developed a program called IntraFace, which is used to perform analysis of facial images in real time, and can be downloaded on a mobile phone.
Another of the functionalities of the software is that it can be used to evaluate the emotions of a sick patient, to measure the reactions of the public or even to detect if a person could fall asleep behind the wheel.
And Facebook plans to use it to alter with special effects the faces of the users so they can create images and videos with filters, just like Snapchat does.
FacioMetrics used research previously conducted at Carnegie Mellon University, one of the most important research centers in the United States in the area of Computer Science and Robotics around the use of Artificial Intelligence in facial recognition.
With this new acquisition Facebook will seek to compete within the filter area, allowing its users to express themselves in fun and creative ways.
Mark Zuckerberg's company did not give details about the economic terms of the deal, but it´s speculated that it paid a large amount of money to acquire this technology.
- Spain and Mexico’s Trade Relations Curdle over Manchego Dispute
- Cape Town Water crisis: 'Day Zero' Draws Near
- MORGAN STANLEY: Here are the 6 internet stocks to bet on in 2018
- Ford announces $11B investment, 40 electrified vehicles by 2022 at Detroit Motor Show
- Automobile Revenues will fall 40% due to Electric and Autonomous Vehicles
- Mexico debuts its best startups for 2018 at CES
- Inside the Secret Society Running the World of Cryptocurrency
- Opinion: Who Will Profit Off the Next Crash?
- This is how Jeff Bezos will support the 'dreamers'
- Oil Reaches $70 a Barrel for First Time in Three Years
- Peso predicted to make comeback in 2018: Bloomberg
- Chihuahua´s governor denounces Government reprisals for PRI corruption investigation