Foreign tourists prefer Mexico, impose new record in 2016By Elliot Bullman
The country achieved a spill of foreign currency in the tourism sector of 19.57 bn dollars, 10.3 percent higher than in 2015.
Mexico was able to impose a new record in tourism last year by capturing 34.9 million international tourists, 8.9% more than the previous year according to the Bank of Mexico.
Even before that data was confirmed, the World Tourism Organization (WTO) announced that Mexico would manage to increase its position in the list of the ten countries most visited by international tourists, moving up from ninth position to eighth.
The Ministry of Tourism said that tourists by air, the main component of hospitalization tourism, increased 10.7%, from 15.2 to 16.9 million tourists from January to December 2016.
He added that the flow of border tourism registered growth of 5.4%, passing from 13.8 million tourists from January to December 2015 to 14.5 million in the same period of 2016.
Of this amount, 12.2 million came in by car, a figure 7.2% higher than 2015, the Tourism Ministry said in a statement.
- The final curtain call for the Ringling Bros. circus
- MD Elektronik Mexicana, a company with German capital, arrives in León
- Mexico’s Grupo Lala is lead bidder for Danone’s Stonyfield Farm
- IMF ratifies flexible credit line for $86 billion for Mexico
- Nissan breaks sales record in Mexico
- British Petroleum expects to grow its investment in Mexico´s energy sector
- Shell and Exxonmobil to open gas stations this year in Mexico
- 29 countries to support China on the Silk Road
- Nissan's 'Godzilla' arrives in Mexico
- Hybrids are hot in Mexico
- General Electric backs NAFTA and voices support for Mexico
- Mexico's Secretary of Foreign Affairs keen to start NAFTA talks in U.S.