Foreign tourists prefer Mexico, impose new record in 2016By Elliot Bullman
The country achieved a spill of foreign currency in the tourism sector of 19.57 bn dollars, 10.3 percent higher than in 2015.
Mexico was able to impose a new record in tourism last year by capturing 34.9 million international tourists, 8.9% more than the previous year according to the Bank of Mexico.
Even before that data was confirmed, the World Tourism Organization (WTO) announced that Mexico would manage to increase its position in the list of the ten countries most visited by international tourists, moving up from ninth position to eighth.
The Ministry of Tourism said that tourists by air, the main component of hospitalization tourism, increased 10.7%, from 15.2 to 16.9 million tourists from January to December 2016.
He added that the flow of border tourism registered growth of 5.4%, passing from 13.8 million tourists from January to December 2015 to 14.5 million in the same period of 2016.
Of this amount, 12.2 million came in by car, a figure 7.2% higher than 2015, the Tourism Ministry said in a statement.
- Corruption and impunity, the biggest challenge for 2018
- CDMX toughens rules for transport apps; goodbye to Uberpool
- At least 217 dead after powerful earthquake hits central Mexico
- The surprising change of mood in 2017
- Hurricane 'Irma' will cause more cruise demand for Mexico
- Merida, Yucatan fast becoming an industrial powerhouse
- Manpower predicts biggest recruitment surge in Mexico for 20 years
- 676,241 formal jobs are created between January and August 2017
- Apple suffers 'major iPhone X leak'
- Government signs agreement with Chinese e-commerce giant Alibaba
- Who foots the bill for Mother Nature's Destructive Fury?
- Shell opens first Mexico gas station, eyes up to $1 billion investment