Foreign tourists prefer Mexico, impose new record in 2016By Elliot Bullman
The country achieved a spill of foreign currency in the tourism sector of 19.57 bn dollars, 10.3 percent higher than in 2015.
Mexico was able to impose a new record in tourism last year by capturing 34.9 million international tourists, 8.9% more than the previous year according to the Bank of Mexico.
Even before that data was confirmed, the World Tourism Organization (WTO) announced that Mexico would manage to increase its position in the list of the ten countries most visited by international tourists, moving up from ninth position to eighth.
The Ministry of Tourism said that tourists by air, the main component of hospitalization tourism, increased 10.7%, from 15.2 to 16.9 million tourists from January to December 2016.
He added that the flow of border tourism registered growth of 5.4%, passing from 13.8 million tourists from January to December 2015 to 14.5 million in the same period of 2016.
Of this amount, 12.2 million came in by car, a figure 7.2% higher than 2015, the Tourism Ministry said in a statement.
- Theatrical producer hires Mexican deportees
- Mexico and Denmark sign Joint Commerce Declaration
- Mexican tech unicorns inspire the creation of startups
- Mexico and Japan use technology to measure seismic breach of Guerrero
- Mexico, US and Canada set to submit joint bid to host 2026 World Cup
- Mexican Auto Industry Sets Export Records in March
- Chinese automaker eyes plants in two Mexican states
- E-commerce doubles in Mexico in one year: IAB
- France Sees Opportunity for Business Expansion in Mexico
- Mexico says new EU trade deal is 'paramount'
- Banxico increases interest rate to 6.50%
- Mexico achieves February trade surplus