Foreign tourists prefer Mexico, impose new record in 2016By Elliot Bullman
The country achieved a spill of foreign currency in the tourism sector of 19.57 bn dollars, 10.3 percent higher than in 2015.
Mexico was able to impose a new record in tourism last year by capturing 34.9 million international tourists, 8.9% more than the previous year according to the Bank of Mexico.
Even before that data was confirmed, the World Tourism Organization (WTO) announced that Mexico would manage to increase its position in the list of the ten countries most visited by international tourists, moving up from ninth position to eighth.
The Ministry of Tourism said that tourists by air, the main component of hospitalization tourism, increased 10.7%, from 15.2 to 16.9 million tourists from January to December 2016.
He added that the flow of border tourism registered growth of 5.4%, passing from 13.8 million tourists from January to December 2015 to 14.5 million in the same period of 2016.
Of this amount, 12.2 million came in by car, a figure 7.2% higher than 2015, the Tourism Ministry said in a statement.
- Mexico seduces foreign investors
- 5 Mexican products the U.S. cannot live without
- How Mexicans spend their remittances
- Mexico wants NAFTA negotiations wrapped up before 2018 elections
- New oilfield found in the Gulf of Mexico
- What changes does the new SAT invoice have?
- Reducing deficits and recovering jobs, US goals in NAFTA
- Cancun, Acapulco and Los Cabos will have Tourist Police
- Trump is running out of options to deal with north korea
- China and Germany cover the leadership vacuum left by the United States
- UNESCO will add places to the World Heritage Sites list
- OECD sees pension collapse in Mexico within five years