The Mexican director Michel Franco wins Best Screenplay for ChronicBy Fernanda Duque Hernández
Chronic the only Mexican film in the official selection of the 68th Cannes Film Festival.
Mexican director, Michel Franco has made another big achievement in his career, winning the Best Screenplay award for his film Chronic, during the 68th edition of The Cannes Film Festival.
The film, starring Tim Roth, tells the story of a nurse who takes care of terminal patients until they come to an inevitable end. His job goes a little beyond, since his dedication, time and patience leads him to establish a special relationship with each one, on different occasions.
“I wanted to create and portray an objective image of how complicated those moments of life really are, and how a stranger can introduce himself in one’s life, not only fulfilling his medical duties but also getting involved in a person’s life and be part of it.”, Franco stated to AFP.
The director of “Daniel y Ana” and “600 miles” said that the inspiration behind this movie, came from a personal experience he had five years ago, when his grandmother got sick and developed a special friendship with her nurse.
This is not the first time The Cannes Film Festival recognizes the talent of this young Mexican director. As a matter of fact, back in 2012 Michel won at the Un Certain Regard section of the Cannes Film Festival, for “After Lucia” a highly acclaimed movie that was considered as a “masterpiece”, by the president of the jury of this section, Tim Roth, who took the chance to approach the 35-year-old director, with the interest of working alongside.
Since then onwards, there has been a great friendship and collaboration between the actor and the Mexican director. Together, they’ve worked to alter the script for a female to a male protagonist; Franco also changed the language and even locations from Mexico City to the U.S.
In spite of the movie taking place and set in LA, this is a 100% Mexican production, ever from its inception to its financing. “There was not a single dollar involved” Franco said. In fact, he recently finished filming his fourth short film “A los Ojos”.
Chronic was the only film created by a Mexican, which competed in the Official Selection of the 68th edition of The Cannes Film Festival.
- Mexico debuts its best startups for 2018 at CES
- Inside the Secret Society Running the World of Cryptocurrency
- Opinion: Who Will Profit Off the Next Crash?
- This is how Jeff Bezos will support the 'dreamers'
- Oil Reaches $70 a Barrel for First Time in Three Years
- Peso predicted to make comeback in 2018: Bloomberg
- Chihuahua´s governor denounces Government reprisals for PRI corruption investigation
- US Weather Disasters Cost Record $306 Bn. Dollars in 2017
- CES 2018: "E-Sports will be the most watched and played sport in the next decade"
- iPhones Pose Suicide Risk to Teenagers, Apple Investors Warn
- By ‘eck, the 34-year-old founder of Spotify, could be worth billions this year!
- Oprah Winfrey – Will she or won’t she run for the US Presidency in 2020?