Frida Kahlo inspires the transformation of the English National BalletBy Fernanda Duque Hernández
Tamara Rojo creates a ballet about the life and work of the Mexican painter
Once again, Frida Kahlo is the main inspiration for art, this time the English National Ballet, which is currently working on a new performance based on the polemical life and work of the Mexican painter. ‘Broken Wings’ is part of a female revolution led by Tamara Rojo, the new Art Director of the institution, who has organized a program that includes several acts choreographed only by women.
“I’ve been working professionally since I was 16 years old and as a dancer I had actually never performed a ballet shaped by a woman… So I decided to commission a program with three choreographers and we decided to call it ‘She Said’ as part of our idea that as artists we have something to say”, stated Tamara Rojo for the English National Ballet.
With this in mind, Rojo brought together Aszure Barton, Yabin Wang and Annabel Lopez Ochoa, who suggested the idea of a ballet made about Frida Kahlo, a woman with strong ideals who became a global icon.
“About 10 years ago I saw a movie about her life and it made me appreciate how she’d been able to transform her sorrows and her pain into art. It was inspiring: I wanted to be like Frida and use my own experience more directly in my work, and I wanted to be able to share her story with an audience”, Lopez Ochoa told to The Guardian.
On the interview with the English media, the Colombian-Belgian choreographer said that the adaptation of ‘Broken Wings’ was a challenge because she wanted to tell the basic facts of Kahlo’s life, “we needed to show the accident, but we didn’t need the bus”.
But this is not the first time that Frida is the source of inspiration for the character of a ballet, in 2013 the Berlin State Ballet –under the direction of the Russian Yuri Smekalov- made ‘Infinita Frida’ (Infinite Frida) a neoclassical performance in honor of the painter, who was personified by the famous Mexican dancer –and Prima Ballerina- Elisa Carrillo.
‘She Said’ and ‘Broken Wings’ will be presented from April 13th to 16th at the Sadler’s Wells Theatre of London.
- Spain and Mexico’s Trade Relations Curdle over Manchego Dispute
- Cape Town Water crisis: 'Day Zero' Draws Near
- MORGAN STANLEY: Here are the 6 internet stocks to bet on in 2018
- Ford announces $11B investment, 40 electrified vehicles by 2022 at Detroit Motor Show
- Automobile Revenues will fall 40% due to Electric and Autonomous Vehicles
- Mexico debuts its best startups for 2018 at CES
- Inside the Secret Society Running the World of Cryptocurrency
- Opinion: Who Will Profit Off the Next Crash?
- This is how Jeff Bezos will support the 'dreamers'
- Oil Reaches $70 a Barrel for First Time in Three Years
- Peso predicted to make comeback in 2018: Bloomberg
- Chihuahua´s governor denounces Government reprisals for PRI corruption investigation