Frida Kahlo inspires the transformation of the English National BalletBy Fernanda Duque Hernández
Tamara Rojo creates a ballet about the life and work of the Mexican painter
Once again, Frida Kahlo is the main inspiration for art, this time the English National Ballet, which is currently working on a new performance based on the polemical life and work of the Mexican painter. ‘Broken Wings’ is part of a female revolution led by Tamara Rojo, the new Art Director of the institution, who has organized a program that includes several acts choreographed only by women.
“I’ve been working professionally since I was 16 years old and as a dancer I had actually never performed a ballet shaped by a woman… So I decided to commission a program with three choreographers and we decided to call it ‘She Said’ as part of our idea that as artists we have something to say”, stated Tamara Rojo for the English National Ballet.
With this in mind, Rojo brought together Aszure Barton, Yabin Wang and Annabel Lopez Ochoa, who suggested the idea of a ballet made about Frida Kahlo, a woman with strong ideals who became a global icon.
“About 10 years ago I saw a movie about her life and it made me appreciate how she’d been able to transform her sorrows and her pain into art. It was inspiring: I wanted to be like Frida and use my own experience more directly in my work, and I wanted to be able to share her story with an audience”, Lopez Ochoa told to The Guardian.
On the interview with the English media, the Colombian-Belgian choreographer said that the adaptation of ‘Broken Wings’ was a challenge because she wanted to tell the basic facts of Kahlo’s life, “we needed to show the accident, but we didn’t need the bus”.
But this is not the first time that Frida is the source of inspiration for the character of a ballet, in 2013 the Berlin State Ballet –under the direction of the Russian Yuri Smekalov- made ‘Infinita Frida’ (Infinite Frida) a neoclassical performance in honor of the painter, who was personified by the famous Mexican dancer –and Prima Ballerina- Elisa Carrillo.
‘She Said’ and ‘Broken Wings’ will be presented from April 13th to 16th at the Sadler’s Wells Theatre of London.
- “Sudan” the world’s last male white rhino dies in Africa
- Facebook tracks a scary number of details about you
- Cambridge Analytica suspends CEO amid uproar over Facebook data leak
- “Yucatan’s good public safety is attracting foreign direct investment”
- By 2021, at least 40% of Latin America's GDP will be digitized: IDC
- China’s ride-hailing giant Didi Chuxing is planning to hit Uber where it hurts
- Migrations will increase by 2050 due to climate change: Central Bank
- Warrant Sought to Inspect Cambridge Analytica
- Why Pompeo will be key to Trump’s policy towards North Korea and Iran
- United Kingdom expels 23 Russian diplomats in the wake of former spy poisoning
- Apple and Disney Place First and Second with Millennials in 2018 Brand Affinity Study
- Trump Inspects Border Wall Prototypes in California