Frida Kahlo: Art, Garden, LifeBy Dania Vargas Austryjak
Frida Kahlo’s garden and studio home recreated in NYC.
Frida Kahlo is coming back to NYC for the first time in over a quarter of a century! The New York’s Botanical Garden will be making this possible by presenting a recreation of the Mexican artists’ garden and studio home.
The inspiration comes from her lifelong home and outdoor garden in Casa Azul, the place where she lived and died; a space she shared with her husband -the renowned Mexican muralist- Diego Rivera, friends, family and even neighbors.
Kahlo studied botany and was often inspired by nature, many of her paintings feature native Mexican plants such as the ones found in her garden, including a variety of cacti (maguey, nopal, biznaga and yuca). Today the garden is also filled with ash tree, jacarandas, a palm tree and tepescahuite. This garden is decorated with many authentic pre-Hispanic figures that Diego placed from his personal collection.
As the garden was a special place for both artists, the New York’s Botanical Garden will be recreating it, as well as displaying more than 12 rare paintings and works on paper. Additional events such as poetry readings, lectures, Frida al Fresco evenings, Mexican-inspired shopping and dining experiences, will be held at the garden, providing visitors a wider perspective on Frida Kahlo’s life.
The exhibition Frida Kahlo: Art, Garden and Life, will be launched on May 16th through to November 1st 2015.
- Mexico debuts its best startups for 2018 at CES
- Inside the Secret Society Running the World of Cryptocurrency
- Opinion: Who Will Profit Off the Next Crash?
- This is how Jeff Bezos will support the 'dreamers'
- Oil Reaches $70 a Barrel for First Time in Three Years
- Peso predicted to make comeback in 2018: Bloomberg
- Chihuahua´s governor denounces Government reprisals for PRI corruption investigation
- US Weather Disasters Cost Record $306 Bn. Dollars in 2017
- CES 2018: "E-Sports will be the most watched and played sport in the next decade"
- iPhones Pose Suicide Risk to Teenagers, Apple Investors Warn
- By ‘eck, the 34-year-old founder of Spotify, could be worth billions this year!
- Oprah Winfrey – Will she or won’t she run for the US Presidency in 2020?