Hurricane Blanca: Heading towards Baja California SurBy Fernanda Duque Hernández
May break down to tropical cyclone by Sunday.
Hurricane Blanca is the second storm to form off Mexico’s Pacific coast this year. According to Mexico’s National Water Commission (CONAGUA), during the first hours of Thursday June 4, the natural phenomenon had lost some of its strength in the cold water of the ocean and at this moment is a category 2 hurricane.
Nevertheless, the storm trajectory is still the same, which seems to indicate that Blanca will be affecting the southern tip of the state of Baja California Sur by Sunday. Experts hope that it keeps losing its strength and reaches land as hurricane category 1 or as tropical cyclone.
The strength of its winds is not the main concern. “It is an issue of water,” said Roberto Ramirez, director of the CONAGUA during a press conference. For the moment, the bad weather alert remains for eight states which include: Guerrero, Michoacan, Colima, Jalisco, Nayarit, Sinaloa, Baja California Sur and Socorro Island.
Mexican authorities revealed that each entity is taking precautions about Blanca. In Baja California Sur, the state government has set up 82 temporal shelters should they be needed. The Navy and the Secretariat of National Defense are ready to act if the situation requires help.
For now the advisory for all the people that live in or are visiting these Mexican states is to stay calm and informed on the evolution of hurricane Blanca by official media through the following: http://smn.cna.gob.mx/ and on twitter @conagua_clima.
For more information, check out our recommendations: http://www.mexiconewsnetwork.com/travel/hurricane-season2015/
- Spain and Mexico’s Trade Relations Curdle over Manchego Dispute
- Cape Town Water crisis: 'Day Zero' Draws Near
- MORGAN STANLEY: Here are the 6 internet stocks to bet on in 2018
- Ford announces $11B investment, 40 electrified vehicles by 2022 at Detroit Motor Show
- Automobile Revenues will fall 40% due to Electric and Autonomous Vehicles
- Mexico debuts its best startups for 2018 at CES
- Inside the Secret Society Running the World of Cryptocurrency
- Opinion: Who Will Profit Off the Next Crash?
- This is how Jeff Bezos will support the 'dreamers'
- Oil Reaches $70 a Barrel for First Time in Three Years
- Peso predicted to make comeback in 2018: Bloomberg
- Chihuahua´s governor denounces Government reprisals for PRI corruption investigation