Introducing the New Secretary of Finance and Public CreditBy Elliot Bullman
What do we know about the incoming Secretary of Finance?
President Enrique Peña Nieto announced on Monday that José Antonio Meade has resigned as the acting Ministry of Finance in order to run for presidential office. The man to fill his shoes is none other than the current director of Petróleos Mexicanos, José Antonio González Anaya.
So what do we know about him so far?
José Antonio González Anaya holds a Bachelor's degree in Economics and Mechanical Engineering from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), the best university in the world according to QS World University Rankings. He holds a Doctorate in Economics from Harvard University.
González Anaya began his career at the Ministry of Finance during the administrations of José Francisco Gil, from 2000 to 2006; Ernesto Cordero (2009-2011) and José Antonio Meade, during two administrative periods: the first, from September 2011 to December 2012, and the second, from September 2016 to November 2017.
During his first stint at the Ministry of Finance, González Anaya served as the head of the Insurance, Pensions and Social Security Unit. During his time there in 2005, he commissioned the World Bank to design what is now widely condemned as the catastrophic bond to absorb the costs of natural disasters.
In 2012, González Anaya was appointed by President Enrique Peña Nieto as General Director of the Mexican Institute of Social Security (IMSS). In February of last year, he was appointed General Director of PEMEX replacing Emilio Lozoya.
González Anaya scholastic achievements include serving as researcher and Professor at Stanford University and Senior Economist for Bolivia, Paraguay and Peru at the World Bank.
- Mexican entrepreneurship project receives award in France
- Mexico's foreign minister and business leaders express outrage over ‘inhumane’ US immigration policy
- The Dow Jones industrial average turned negative as global trade war fears mount
- Canada legalizes recreational cannabis use
- EU to retaliate against US with counter-tariffs on Friday
- Mexican national team football shirt is best seller in the United States
- Scorpion catching is a dangerous trade that allows Durango’s locals to survive.
- Rafael Márquez , is only the third player in history to achieve the feat of playing in 5 world cups
- It’s not just in football that Mexico is superior to Germany
- First ladies speak out on Trump separation policy
- Women sustain half of Mexico’s economy but earn crippling wages
- Dunkin' Donuts to reach 100 stores in Mexico thanks to millennials