The rarest turtles from the Gulf of Mexico arrive to UK
Rescued endangered Kemp’s Ridley turtles.
On this past December, two juvenile Kemp’s Ridley turtles were found alive on the beaches of Merseyside and Cumbria, North West England. They were both very weak and “cold stunned”; they were most likely swept from their home -almost 5,000 miles away- due to strong ocean currents and unusual cold weather in the Gulf of Mexico.
It wasn’t the first time an event like this happens… There are 30 recorded incidents of Kemp’s Ridley turtles being stranded on the beaches of UK. Unfortunately it is a critically endangered species that is struggling for survival. Sadly one of these two rescued turtles couldn’t make it, but the other one is being taken care of, until it regains strength and can be flown back to a rescue center in North Carolina and hopefully then, released back into the wild.
Marine biologists have theories of what could have happened to these sea creatures, the sea temperatures on the eastern coast of Mexico and USA dropped causing a large number of Kemp’s Ridley to become cold stunned, leaving the turtles in a lethargic condition unable to feed or swim against strong currents. Due to these conditions, the turtles got carried across the Atlantic Ocean by the Gulf Stream on to the British shore.
We are hoping the surviving Kemp’s Ridley will be able to return safely to its home, back in the American continent and the warmer waters of the Gulf of Mexico.
- MORGAN STANLEY: Here are the 6 internet stocks to bet on in 2018
- Ford announces $11B investment, 40 electrified vehicles by 2022 at Detroit Motor Show
- Automobile Revenues will fall 40% due to Electric and Autonomous Vehicles
- Mexico debuts its best startups for 2018 at CES
- Inside the Secret Society Running the World of Cryptocurrency
- Opinion: Who Will Profit Off the Next Crash?
- This is how Jeff Bezos will support the 'dreamers'
- Oil Reaches $70 a Barrel for First Time in Three Years
- Peso predicted to make comeback in 2018: Bloomberg
- Chihuahua´s governor denounces Government reprisals for PRI corruption investigation
- US Weather Disasters Cost Record $306 Bn. Dollars in 2017
- CES 2018: "E-Sports will be the most watched and played sport in the next decade"