A library on the beach of Cancun!
Libraries are places where one can unwind, travel, drift off and imagine worlds filled with wonder! I personally love these spaces since you can never get bored, pick a good book and simply let its magic words take you to the most unimagined places ever! Now, take this image and place it on a gorgeous and natural scenery, maybe a beach in Cancun… Sounds incredible don’t you think? Simply close your eyes and picture yourself in the middle of such wonderful setting, relaxing and unwinding while reading a good book! It’s time to make this happen, reason why you will now find a library on the beaches in Cancun!
In Spanish, the project goes by the name Playateca, which is a library on the beach and constitutes a space that gathers several (and very good, may I add) book titles in different languages, so once you get to the beach, you can grab one and then return it! It’s an initiative that also invites and encourages others to read, while also contribute to the cause since anyone can donate books.
The first Playateca- library on the beach- was established in the year 2012, as part of an initiative launched by Bibliocun, which is a citizen association that seeks to promote and encourage local residents to get into the habit of reading. It provides a space where books are available to be borrowed!
The first beach in Cancun with a library was Las Perlas, and started off with 250 books in English and Spanish. The majority of titles were donated by citizens through several collections organized by the before-mentioned association Bibliocun.
With the support of the Federal Maritime Land Zone of Mexico (ZOFEMAT), another library on the beach will be inaugurated in Chac Mool BeachM; this is thanks to the contributions and donations along with the hard work and effort from organizations. This library on the beach will feature around 400 book titles in English, Spanish, Portuguese and Japanese.
There are other libraries on the beach in the rest of the world, in Chile and Colombia for instance where they are fixed units that even lend out some of the books.
So now you know! Next time you go to the beach, remember to pass by the Playateca you will surely find something of your liking!
- Mexico City, Thirsty and Sinking, Faces a Water Crisis
- Facebook's nightmare is about to get a lot worse
- Walmart opens its first 'Amazon style'store in Mexico
- Cancun 'spring breakers' welcomed with code of conduct
- “Sudan” the world’s last male white rhino dies in Africa
- Facebook tracks a scary number of details about you
- Cambridge Analytica suspends CEO amid uproar over Facebook data leak
- “Yucatan’s good public safety is attracting foreign direct investment”
- By 2021, at least 40% of Latin America's GDP will be digitized: IDC
- China’s ride-hailing giant Didi Chuxing is planning to hit Uber where it hurts
- Migrations will increase by 2050 due to climate change: Central Bank
- Warrant Sought to Inspect Cambridge Analytica