Study reveals most livable cities in MexicoBy Dania Vargas Austryjak
What citizens say about their cities?
The private Gabinete de Comunicación Estratégica (Office of Strategic Communications) firm announced the results of this year’s study of the most livable cities in Mexico. It was done through a survey conducted through a telephone poll in which citizens evaluated three major aspects of the cities: quality of life, satisfaction with municipal services, and performance of political authorities.
The report is a useful indicator of how citizens view their cities. There were 30,400 people interviewed from June 16 to July 7, 2015; divided into 60 municipalities and 16 districts of Mexico City, which means 400 people were surveyed in each municipality or district.
The first aspect evaluated was the index of quality of life. This category took into account several variables such as: air quality, housing, schools, natural beauty, museums, and entertainment centers. The results from this aspect show that the top cities with the best quality of life are: Mérida, Saltillo, Aguascalientes, Mazatlán, Colima, Cancun, Querétaro, Culiacan, Durango and Nuevo Laredo.
The following aspect was people’s satisfaction with municipal services which evaluates 16 different variables including: roads, lighting, parks, waste management, tourism, culture, health, business and Wi-Fi. The top ten cities for this category are as follows: Nuevo Laredo, Mérida, Mazatlán, Culiacan, Manzanillo, Aguascalientes, Colima, Saltillo, Matamoros and Querétaro.
Last but not least, we have the category that evaluated citizens’ perception on how well their municipal leaders perform. This category takes three variables into account: a “grading” of the mayor; the perception of the mayor’s level of control; and whether or not the city is going down the right path. The best rated cities in these aspects are: Nuevo Laredo, Mérida, Manzanillo, Aguascalientes, Mazatlán, Culiacan, Colima, Saltillo, Querétaro and Matamoros.
In conclusion, if we try do determine which are the most livable cities taking into account all three of these aspects, we have (in alphabetic order): Aguascalientes, Colima, Culiacán, Mazatlán, Mérida, Nuevo Laredo, Queretaro and Saltillo. These are the top cities, at least as per their own citizens.
- Spain and Mexico’s Trade Relations Curdle over Manchego Dispute
- Cape Town Water crisis: 'Day Zero' Draws Near
- MORGAN STANLEY: Here are the 6 internet stocks to bet on in 2018
- Ford announces $11B investment, 40 electrified vehicles by 2022 at Detroit Motor Show
- Automobile Revenues will fall 40% due to Electric and Autonomous Vehicles
- Mexico debuts its best startups for 2018 at CES
- Inside the Secret Society Running the World of Cryptocurrency
- Opinion: Who Will Profit Off the Next Crash?
- This is how Jeff Bezos will support the 'dreamers'
- Oil Reaches $70 a Barrel for First Time in Three Years
- Peso predicted to make comeback in 2018: Bloomberg
- Chihuahua´s governor denounces Government reprisals for PRI corruption investigation