Study reveals most livable cities in MexicoBy Dania Vargas Austryjak
What citizens say about their cities?
The private Gabinete de Comunicación Estratégica (Office of Strategic Communications) firm announced the results of this year’s study of the most livable cities in Mexico. It was done through a survey conducted through a telephone poll in which citizens evaluated three major aspects of the cities: quality of life, satisfaction with municipal services, and performance of political authorities.
The report is a useful indicator of how citizens view their cities. There were 30,400 people interviewed from June 16 to July 7, 2015; divided into 60 municipalities and 16 districts of Mexico City, which means 400 people were surveyed in each municipality or district.
The first aspect evaluated was the index of quality of life. This category took into account several variables such as: air quality, housing, schools, natural beauty, museums, and entertainment centers. The results from this aspect show that the top cities with the best quality of life are: Mérida, Saltillo, Aguascalientes, Mazatlán, Colima, Cancun, Querétaro, Culiacan, Durango and Nuevo Laredo.
The following aspect was people’s satisfaction with municipal services which evaluates 16 different variables including: roads, lighting, parks, waste management, tourism, culture, health, business and Wi-Fi. The top ten cities for this category are as follows: Nuevo Laredo, Mérida, Mazatlán, Culiacan, Manzanillo, Aguascalientes, Colima, Saltillo, Matamoros and Querétaro.
Last but not least, we have the category that evaluated citizens’ perception on how well their municipal leaders perform. This category takes three variables into account: a “grading” of the mayor; the perception of the mayor’s level of control; and whether or not the city is going down the right path. The best rated cities in these aspects are: Nuevo Laredo, Mérida, Manzanillo, Aguascalientes, Mazatlán, Culiacan, Colima, Saltillo, Querétaro and Matamoros.
In conclusion, if we try do determine which are the most livable cities taking into account all three of these aspects, we have (in alphabetic order): Aguascalientes, Colima, Culiacán, Mazatlán, Mérida, Nuevo Laredo, Queretaro and Saltillo. These are the top cities, at least as per their own citizens.
- Southwest Airlines inaugurates new international route to Cancun from New Orleans
- The Federal Aviation Administration has ordered airlines to inspect certain older CFM56-7B turbofan engines.
- North Korea 'halts missile and nuclear tests', says Kim Jong-un
- Frida Kahlo Barbie doll banned from shop shelves in Mexico
- NAFTA meeting on tap; Mexico doesn’t want to be used to elude US tariffs
- Mexico is second on world’s best places to retire list
- New video editing trend could be the future of ´fake news'
- Trump says North Korea talks under way but he may not meet Kim Jong-un
- Mexico’s candidates are avoiding talking about the elephant in the room: Pensions
- Elon Musk just sank more than $100 million into The Boring Company
- Netflix is soaring after it crushed subscriber growth targets yet again
- Starbucks: Protesters call for boycott after black men arrested