A Male Oral Contraceptive?By
Mexican researchers are close to achieving a male pill.
During the past few years, with scientific advance and the evolution of technology, specifically in the field of medicine, the average lifespan has significantly increased, translating in just a few years into overpopulation. This has created a worldwide awareness, regarding the importance of better family planning.
We all know there are several ways to prevent unwanted pregnancies, but for men, the only option for a reversible method was the condom; that’s why Dr. Alberto Darszon Israel’s discovery is so important.
He and his colleague researchers from the National Autonomous University of Mexico (UNAM) discovered what may become the first male contraceptive pill.
According to Israel, the human sperm cell has ion transport channels (formerly identified in other types of cells), which produce a pathway for the exchange of chemicals. This process determines the sperm’s speed and its accuracy for finding an egg.
If the chemical distribution of ions is adjusted, whether it is in the sperm cell alone or in the one that attaches to an egg cell, fertilization could be prevented… This results in the first reversible male contraceptive.
The medication is not ready yet, but this process has already proved to be successful for curing other disease functions in the human body.
There are simple compounds known for their effectiveness at interrupting the ion transport; researchers know that the right combination of said compounds will deliver the results they’re looking for, without the usual risk of dangerous side effects.
According to their investigations, ion exchange produces an electric signal which would make it easy to follow the progress of any trial drugs.
- Spain and Mexico’s Trade Relations Curdle over Manchego Dispute
- Cape Town Water crisis: 'Day Zero' Draws Near
- MORGAN STANLEY: Here are the 6 internet stocks to bet on in 2018
- Ford announces $11B investment, 40 electrified vehicles by 2022 at Detroit Motor Show
- Automobile Revenues will fall 40% due to Electric and Autonomous Vehicles
- Mexico debuts its best startups for 2018 at CES
- Inside the Secret Society Running the World of Cryptocurrency
- Opinion: Who Will Profit Off the Next Crash?
- This is how Jeff Bezos will support the 'dreamers'
- Oil Reaches $70 a Barrel for First Time in Three Years
- Peso predicted to make comeback in 2018: Bloomberg
- Chihuahua´s governor denounces Government reprisals for PRI corruption investigation