Men are from Uranus and Women are from MarsBy Elliot Bullman
Carmen Victoria Félix is set to become the first female astronaut to set foot on Mars… and she is Mexican
Carmen Victoria Félixhas contemplated that by 2030 there will be a mission commanded by NASA to travel to the planet Mars. And her single purpose is to become one of the first astronauts to set foot on the "red planet".
Hailing from Culiacán, Sinaloa, Félix Chaidez’ interest in space started since childhood. That curiosity increased when she attended the International Congress of Astronautics. She was surprised to learn that the people who were interested in space discovery were not exclusively from the United States, but also from other countries.
"I had the opportunity to listen to a conversation among astronauts, in the end I approached and told one of them that I had the dream of being close to space", as Carmen Victoria revealed to CONACYT.
Her big break came when she met the astronaut Mile Massimino who encouraged her to study engineering. The young visionary graduated as an Electronics and Communication Engineer from the Technological Institute and Higher Education of Monterrey.
Her next giant step came when she entered the International Space University, where she completed her masters which then enabled her to conduct professional practices at NASA.
Since 2011 she has been working on studies on Mars and has undergone all kinds of tests to accurately recreate the characteristics of the celestial body.
And this smiling, interstellar 32 year old, is preparing for one of the peak moments in her training as a researcher. Carmen has contemplated that by 2030 there could be a mission commanded by NASA to travel to Mars.
"It would be great if the first step on Mars is by a woman, it is difficult but it could happen. Men were the first to reach the Moon, and women will be the first to get to Mars," she said in an interview with El Universal.
- “Sudan” the world’s last male white rhino dies in Africa
- Facebook tracks a scary number of details about you
- Cambridge Analytica suspends CEO amid uproar over Facebook data leak
- “Yucatan’s good public safety is attracting foreign direct investment”
- By 2021, at least 40% of Latin America's GDP will be digitized: IDC
- China’s ride-hailing giant Didi Chuxing is planning to hit Uber where it hurts
- Migrations will increase by 2050 due to climate change: Central Bank
- Warrant Sought to Inspect Cambridge Analytica
- Why Pompeo will be key to Trump’s policy towards North Korea and Iran
- United Kingdom expels 23 Russian diplomats in the wake of former spy poisoning
- Apple and Disney Place First and Second with Millennials in 2018 Brand Affinity Study
- Trump Inspects Border Wall Prototypes in California