Merida celebrates its 474th anniversaryBy Valeria Bigurra Peñavera
Merida, also known as the "White City", is the capital of Yucatan, Mexico, and today it celebrates its 474th anniversary with the "Merida Fest", an event which will end on January 24.
The celebrations began yesterday, with the YahalKab group, who gave a concert as prelude to the anniversary in Saint Lucia City Park, and later that day the Mayor Mauricio Vilal Dosal, led the traditional callejoneada, where more than 130 singers performed their songs in honor of the capital.
The four groups of singers of the entity "Pastor Cervera", "Guty Cardenas", "Pepe Dominguez" and "Armando Manzanero", departed from the Santa Lucia Park, located on 60th Street, towards the Plaza Grande, in order to honor their beautiful city.
During the "Merida Fest” over 150 activities will be held, and will be attended by over a thousand artists from Mexico, Russia, Spain, Jamaica, Syria, Lebanon, China and Portugal, all this in order to honor a year of the construction of Merida as the capital of the modern Maya world, and to celebrate it as capital of migrants, where communities such as Lebanese, Korean or Chinese have planted roots.
Merida was founded on January 6, 1542 by Don Francisco Montejo "El Mozo" and was built in the northern part of the Yucatan Peninsula on the ruins of an ancient Mayan settlement known in the region as Ichcaanziho, meaning "Five hills”.
During the festival samples of popular cuisine, classic cinema cycles, regional theater, aerial and acrobatic dance, scenic poems, book presentations, trova and fusion of rhythms and many other activities that seek to integrate the citizens through culture and the arts will be held.
For more information on the activities that will be carried out you can enter the "Merida Fest" website www.merida.gob.mx/festival/
- “Sudan” the world’s last male white rhino dies in Africa
- Facebook tracks a scary number of details about you
- Cambridge Analytica suspends CEO amid uproar over Facebook data leak
- “Yucatan’s good public safety is attracting foreign direct investment”
- By 2021, at least 40% of Latin America's GDP will be digitized: IDC
- China’s ride-hailing giant Didi Chuxing is planning to hit Uber where it hurts
- Migrations will increase by 2050 due to climate change: Central Bank
- Warrant Sought to Inspect Cambridge Analytica
- Why Pompeo will be key to Trump’s policy towards North Korea and Iran
- United Kingdom expels 23 Russian diplomats in the wake of former spy poisoning
- Apple and Disney Place First and Second with Millennials in 2018 Brand Affinity Study
- Trump Inspects Border Wall Prototypes in California