Mexican films preselected for the Goya and the Oscar 2016 awardsBy Valeria Bigurra Peñavera
It's that time of the year when the best of the international and national movies of the year gather and are awarded! And now is the time when the shortlisting, candidates and potential nominees arise!
Recently they unveiled the nominees for the 2016 Golden Globes, as well as the nominees for the 2016 Critics Choice Awards.
This year will be a good year for Mexican films and filmmakers, and although the official list of nominees for the Goya and the Oscars hasn’t been released yet, the Mexican Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences (AMACC) announced the preselected productions that will seek to represent Mexico at the awards in Spain and the United States.
It is important to remember that Mexico’s last nomination at the Goya awards was to “La Jaula de Oro” (Lit. The Golden Cage) in 2014, and the last film that was awarded was “El Callejon de los Milagros” (Lit. Alley of Miracles) in 1996.
In the Oscars, the last nomination received was for Biutiful, of Alejandro González Innárritu in 2011, and only Pan's Labyrinth by Guillermo del Toro, a Mexico-Spanish production, was awarded for best cinematography, art direction and makeup.
Here is the full shortlist:
- 600 millas (Dir. Gabriel Ripstein)
- Eco de la montaña (Dir. Nicolás Echevarría)
- Estrellas Solitarias (Dir. Fernando Urdapilleta)
- Viento Aparte (Dir. Alejandro Gerber)
- Eddie Reynolds y los ángeles de acero (Dir. Gustavo Moheno)
- Gloria (Dir. Christian Keller)
- Tiempo Suspendido (Dir. Natalia Bruschtein)
- Elvira, te daría mi vida pero la estoy usando (Dir. Manolo Caro)
- La delgada línea amarilla (Dir. Celso García)
- Tiempos felices (Luis Javier M. Henaine)
- Cuatro Lunas (Dir. Sergio Tovar Velarde)
- En el último trago (Dir. Jack Zagha)
- La Tirisia (Dir. Jorge Pérez Solano)
- Una última y nos vamos (Dir. Noé Santillán)
Movies participating only for the Goya
- Las oscuras primaveras (Dir. Ernesto Contreras)
- Alaide Foppa “La sin ventura” (Dir. María del Carmen de Lara y Leopoldo Best)
- Carmín Tropical (Dir. Rigoberto Perezcano)
- Spain and Mexico’s Trade Relations Curdle over Manchego Dispute
- Cape Town Water crisis: 'Day Zero' Draws Near
- MORGAN STANLEY: Here are the 6 internet stocks to bet on in 2018
- Ford announces $11B investment, 40 electrified vehicles by 2022 at Detroit Motor Show
- Automobile Revenues will fall 40% due to Electric and Autonomous Vehicles
- Mexico debuts its best startups for 2018 at CES
- Inside the Secret Society Running the World of Cryptocurrency
- Opinion: Who Will Profit Off the Next Crash?
- This is how Jeff Bezos will support the 'dreamers'
- Oil Reaches $70 a Barrel for First Time in Three Years
- Peso predicted to make comeback in 2018: Bloomberg
- Chihuahua´s governor denounces Government reprisals for PRI corruption investigation