Mexican films preselected for the Goya and the Oscar 2016 awardsBy Valeria Bigurra Peñavera
It's that time of the year when the best of the international and national movies of the year gather and are awarded! And now is the time when the shortlisting, candidates and potential nominees arise!
Recently they unveiled the nominees for the 2016 Golden Globes, as well as the nominees for the 2016 Critics Choice Awards.
This year will be a good year for Mexican films and filmmakers, and although the official list of nominees for the Goya and the Oscars hasn’t been released yet, the Mexican Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences (AMACC) announced the preselected productions that will seek to represent Mexico at the awards in Spain and the United States.
It is important to remember that Mexico’s last nomination at the Goya awards was to “La Jaula de Oro” (Lit. The Golden Cage) in 2014, and the last film that was awarded was “El Callejon de los Milagros” (Lit. Alley of Miracles) in 1996.
In the Oscars, the last nomination received was for Biutiful, of Alejandro González Innárritu in 2011, and only Pan's Labyrinth by Guillermo del Toro, a Mexico-Spanish production, was awarded for best cinematography, art direction and makeup.
Here is the full shortlist:
- 600 millas (Dir. Gabriel Ripstein)
- Eco de la montaña (Dir. Nicolás Echevarría)
- Estrellas Solitarias (Dir. Fernando Urdapilleta)
- Viento Aparte (Dir. Alejandro Gerber)
- Eddie Reynolds y los ángeles de acero (Dir. Gustavo Moheno)
- Gloria (Dir. Christian Keller)
- Tiempo Suspendido (Dir. Natalia Bruschtein)
- Elvira, te daría mi vida pero la estoy usando (Dir. Manolo Caro)
- La delgada línea amarilla (Dir. Celso García)
- Tiempos felices (Luis Javier M. Henaine)
- Cuatro Lunas (Dir. Sergio Tovar Velarde)
- En el último trago (Dir. Jack Zagha)
- La Tirisia (Dir. Jorge Pérez Solano)
- Una última y nos vamos (Dir. Noé Santillán)
Movies participating only for the Goya
- Las oscuras primaveras (Dir. Ernesto Contreras)
- Alaide Foppa “La sin ventura” (Dir. María del Carmen de Lara y Leopoldo Best)
- Carmín Tropical (Dir. Rigoberto Perezcano)
- “Sudan” the world’s last male white rhino dies in Africa
- Facebook tracks a scary number of details about you
- Cambridge Analytica suspends CEO amid uproar over Facebook data leak
- “Yucatan’s good public safety is attracting foreign direct investment”
- By 2021, at least 40% of Latin America's GDP will be digitized: IDC
- China’s ride-hailing giant Didi Chuxing is planning to hit Uber where it hurts
- Migrations will increase by 2050 due to climate change: Central Bank
- Warrant Sought to Inspect Cambridge Analytica
- Why Pompeo will be key to Trump’s policy towards North Korea and Iran
- United Kingdom expels 23 Russian diplomats in the wake of former spy poisoning
- Apple and Disney Place First and Second with Millennials in 2018 Brand Affinity Study
- Trump Inspects Border Wall Prototypes in California