First Mexican girl to win Technovation ChallengeBy Andrea Hablutzel Pelayo
Volunteering app wins international technology competition
Lilia Lobato Martinez is a Mexican high school student who at 18 years old has seen a need in our country, of people helping on different situations in the community, so she decided to do something about it, using technology as the main tool.
Image by Pixabay.
She created an app that promotes volunteer work, called OOL, which can be found free of charge in the Google Play store, for the time being it is only available with an Android operating system and has almost 200 downloads.
With this project, Lilia has become the first Mexican to win the first place in the Technovation Challenge, an annual event that supports entrepreneur girls and teenagers from all over the world who are passionate about technology, through the creation of apps.
OOL is focused on social development, connecting passionate people that want to make a difference in the world by helping their community through volunteer work with people who need that passion for their aid projects, basically bringing NGOs closer to the community. It is based majorly in the appropriation of public spaces that allows citizens to have a better quality of life. Several companies and sponsors have joined the project in the past months.
Screenshot from Google PlayOOL
The mobile app was developed since the beginning of the year, for about five months, along with her team, her teachers Erika Duran and Lourdes Gonzalez. The competition was held at the University of San Francisco; OOL app won a check for $10 thousand dollars, which will be used to impulse the project further.
- Trump backs down and signs executive order to 'keep families together'
- Despite uncertainty about the election, Mexico continues to attract investments
- On Saturday, repaving works start in Cancun’s hotel zone
- Mexican entrepreneurship project receives award in France
- Mexico's foreign minister and business leaders express outrage over ‘inhumane’ US immigration policy
- The Dow Jones industrial average turned negative as global trade war fears mount
- Canada legalizes recreational cannabis use
- EU to retaliate against US with counter-tariffs on Friday
- Mexican national team football shirt is best seller in the United States
- Scorpion catching is a dangerous trade that allows Durango’s locals to survive.
- Rafael Márquez , is only the third player in history to achieve the feat of playing in 5 world cups
- It’s not just in football that Mexico is superior to Germany