First Mexican girl to win Technovation ChallengeBy Andrea Hablutzel Pelayo
Volunteering app wins international technology competition
Lilia Lobato Martinez is a Mexican high school student who at 18 years old has seen a need in our country, of people helping on different situations in the community, so she decided to do something about it, using technology as the main tool.
Image by Pixabay.
She created an app that promotes volunteer work, called OOL, which can be found free of charge in the Google Play store, for the time being it is only available with an Android operating system and has almost 200 downloads.
With this project, Lilia has become the first Mexican to win the first place in the Technovation Challenge, an annual event that supports entrepreneur girls and teenagers from all over the world who are passionate about technology, through the creation of apps.
OOL is focused on social development, connecting passionate people that want to make a difference in the world by helping their community through volunteer work with people who need that passion for their aid projects, basically bringing NGOs closer to the community. It is based majorly in the appropriation of public spaces that allows citizens to have a better quality of life. Several companies and sponsors have joined the project in the past months.
Screenshot from Google PlayOOL
The mobile app was developed since the beginning of the year, for about five months, along with her team, her teachers Erika Duran and Lourdes Gonzalez. The competition was held at the University of San Francisco; OOL app won a check for $10 thousand dollars, which will be used to impulse the project further.
- “Sudan” the world’s last male white rhino dies in Africa
- Facebook tracks a scary number of details about you
- Cambridge Analytica suspends CEO amid uproar over Facebook data leak
- “Yucatan’s good public safety is attracting foreign direct investment”
- By 2021, at least 40% of Latin America's GDP will be digitized: IDC
- China’s ride-hailing giant Didi Chuxing is planning to hit Uber where it hurts
- Migrations will increase by 2050 due to climate change: Central Bank
- Warrant Sought to Inspect Cambridge Analytica
- Why Pompeo will be key to Trump’s policy towards North Korea and Iran
- United Kingdom expels 23 Russian diplomats in the wake of former spy poisoning
- Apple and Disney Place First and Second with Millennials in 2018 Brand Affinity Study
- Trump Inspects Border Wall Prototypes in California