Mexico’s Airline Industry Grows at its Best Rate for a DecadeBy Elliot Bullman
From January to November, Mexico’s air passenger transportation grew 10.9% and could close on 90 million passengers in 2017.
For the past five years Mexico’ airline industry has experienced a golden cycle and this year is shaping up as the best of the streak.
In the period from January to October this year, around 152,000 international flights arrived at the country's airports, representing an increase of 8.1%. As of November, passenger air traffic in the country had swelled by 10.9% to 81.3 million passengers.
In the third quarter of 2017 the Gross Domestic Product (GDP) of the airline sector accumulated an advance of 11.7%, its highest growth in the last decade, according to Inegi.
The huge growth in demand is a reflection of the success that has been enjoyed by Mexico’s tourism again this year.
The country’s tourism GDP during the second quarter of the year increased 5.6% compared to the same period of 2016.
The director of the Tourism Promotion Council of Mexico (CPTM), Hector Flores, told entrepreneurs and secretaries of tourism that increasing air connectivity, both at national and international level, has been fundamental in sustaining Mexico’s growth in tourism.
- Trump backs down and signs executive order to 'keep families together'
- Despite uncertainty about the election, Mexico continues to attract investments
- On Saturday, repaving works start in Cancun’s hotel zone
- Mexican entrepreneurship project receives award in France
- Mexico's foreign minister and business leaders express outrage over ‘inhumane’ US immigration policy
- The Dow Jones industrial average turned negative as global trade war fears mount
- Canada legalizes recreational cannabis use
- EU to retaliate against US with counter-tariffs on Friday
- Mexican national team football shirt is best seller in the United States
- Scorpion catching is a dangerous trade that allows Durango’s locals to survive.
- Rafael Márquez , is only the third player in history to achieve the feat of playing in 5 world cups
- It’s not just in football that Mexico is superior to Germany