Mexico City will be the 2018 World Design CapitalBy Dania Vargas Austryjak
First Latin American city to hold the designation
The International Council of Societies of Industrial Design (Icsid) just announced during its 29th General Assembly that Mexico City achieved the designation of World Design Capital 2018 (WDC); being the sixth city overall, and first in Latin America to receive such designation that recognizes the city’s commitment to use design for development.
On abiennial basis, the Icsid awards the city that has demonstrated to use design as a tool for economic, social, and cultural development; more than just a program, it is a movement that recognizes the impact of design in the quality of life.
This recognition gives Mexico City the chance to embrace old and new designs into one beautifully designed city, it is the perfect time to call in the creative community and join in the development of an innovative and livable city.
Professor Mugendi M’Rithaa, Icsid President and Member of the WDC Selection Committee stated, “Mexico City will serve as a model for other megacities around the world grappling with the challenges of urbanisation and using design thinking to ensure a safer, more liveable city.” quoted on WDC’s official press release.
The bid to enter as candidate for World Design Capital was led by the non-profit organization, Design Week Mexico which presented plans to focus on the borough Miguel Hidalgo; the proposal addressed new health communications and security programs, urban gardens, parks, and playgrounds.
“Our goal is to build a platform for collaboration not only between design disciplines, but also between countries. As WDC, we seek to create a hub of global creative industries that have an impact on their societies.” said Emilio Cabrera, Director General of Design Week Mexico.
Mexico City was selected over co-candidate Curitiba, Brazil for their wide-range plans and active support of the mayor and wide design community.
- Mexico debuts its best startups for 2018 at CES
- Inside the Secret Society Running the World of Cryptocurrency
- Opinion: Who Will Profit Off the Next Crash?
- This is how Jeff Bezos will support the 'dreamers'
- Oil Reaches $70 a Barrel for First Time in Three Years
- Peso predicted to make comeback in 2018: Bloomberg
- Chihuahua´s governor denounces Government reprisals for PRI corruption investigation
- US Weather Disasters Cost Record $306 Bn. Dollars in 2017
- CES 2018: "E-Sports will be the most watched and played sport in the next decade"
- iPhones Pose Suicide Risk to Teenagers, Apple Investors Warn
- By ‘eck, the 34-year-old founder of Spotify, could be worth billions this year!
- Oprah Winfrey – Will she or won’t she run for the US Presidency in 2020?