Mexico: A global power in scientific productionBy Elliot Bullman
Mexico ranks second in scientific production in Latin America, according to the head of the Coordinating Commission of National Institutes of Health and High Specialty Hospitals, Guillermo Ruiz-Palacios.
He pointed out that the National Autonomous University of Mexico (UNAM) is the most important academic centre in the country, with 4,159 researchers in the National System of Researchers (SNI) of the National Council of Science and Technology (Conacyt).
This is followed by the Conacyt Public Research Centers and the Health System, with 1,661, and fourth is the National Polytechnic Institute, the Autonomous Metropolitan University (UAM) and other entities.
The official said that the National Institutes of Health and high-specialty hospitals have 1,318 SNI researchers, compared to 324 from the Mexican Social Security Institute (IMSS) and 19 from the ISSSTE.
He noted that the amounts required to promote the creation of a consortium to strengthen technologies and innovations for the improvement of health will depend on the innovations generated, but the initiative could start with five or 10 million dollars and increase exponentially as health institutes and research centre are integrated.
The consortium will start working with research projects in areas such as orthopaedics, cardiology, nutrition, immunology and diagnostic, and hoped that next year 10 or 20 innovations will be ready.
- Mexican entrepreneurship project receives award in France
- Mexico's foreign minister and business leaders express outrage over ‘inhumane’ US immigration policy
- The Dow Jones industrial average turned negative as global trade war fears mount
- Canada legalizes recreational cannabis use
- EU to retaliate against US with counter-tariffs on Friday
- Mexican national team football shirt is best seller in the United States
- Scorpion catching is a dangerous trade that allows Durango’s locals to survive.
- Rafael Márquez , is only the third player in history to achieve the feat of playing in 5 world cups
- It’s not just in football that Mexico is superior to Germany
- First ladies speak out on Trump separation policy
- Women sustain half of Mexico’s economy but earn crippling wages
- Dunkin' Donuts to reach 100 stores in Mexico thanks to millennials