Mexico: A global power in scientific productionBy Elliot Bullman
Mexico ranks second in scientific production in Latin America, according to the head of the Coordinating Commission of National Institutes of Health and High Specialty Hospitals, Guillermo Ruiz-Palacios.
He pointed out that the National Autonomous University of Mexico (UNAM) is the most important academic centre in the country, with 4,159 researchers in the National System of Researchers (SNI) of the National Council of Science and Technology (Conacyt).
This is followed by the Conacyt Public Research Centers and the Health System, with 1,661, and fourth is the National Polytechnic Institute, the Autonomous Metropolitan University (UAM) and other entities.
The official said that the National Institutes of Health and high-specialty hospitals have 1,318 SNI researchers, compared to 324 from the Mexican Social Security Institute (IMSS) and 19 from the ISSSTE.
He noted that the amounts required to promote the creation of a consortium to strengthen technologies and innovations for the improvement of health will depend on the innovations generated, but the initiative could start with five or 10 million dollars and increase exponentially as health institutes and research centre are integrated.
The consortium will start working with research projects in areas such as orthopaedics, cardiology, nutrition, immunology and diagnostic, and hoped that next year 10 or 20 innovations will be ready.
- “Sudan” the world’s last male white rhino dies in Africa
- Facebook tracks a scary number of details about you
- Cambridge Analytica suspends CEO amid uproar over Facebook data leak
- “Yucatan’s good public safety is attracting foreign direct investment”
- By 2021, at least 40% of Latin America's GDP will be digitized: IDC
- China’s ride-hailing giant Didi Chuxing is planning to hit Uber where it hurts
- Migrations will increase by 2050 due to climate change: Central Bank
- Warrant Sought to Inspect Cambridge Analytica
- Why Pompeo will be key to Trump’s policy towards North Korea and Iran
- United Kingdom expels 23 Russian diplomats in the wake of former spy poisoning
- Apple and Disney Place First and Second with Millennials in 2018 Brand Affinity Study
- Trump Inspects Border Wall Prototypes in California