How Mexico is going to shield remittances from Trump's threatsBy Elliot Bullman
Faced with threats by President Donald Trump to put a tax on remittances, the Mexican government has a plan to shield the dollars sent every day by more than 11 million Mexican migrants from the United States.
The federal government together with the legislature and bankers has drafted a plan that aims to reduce the costs of sending remittances and thereby offset the tax proposed by Trump, said Mario Di Costanzo, president of the National Commission for Protection and Defense Of the Users of Financial Services (Condusef).
To reduce the cost of sending money, the Secretaries of Finance and Foreign Affairs are negotiating with the Association of Banks of Mexico (ABM) to allow bank accounts to be opened on the internet, with no resource limit, which will not generate a cost for withdrawing users.
Another part of the plan, is to provide information to Mexican migrants about alternatives to shield not only dollars, but also their assets and savings in that country.
One option is for migrants to give up housing, business and vehicle rights to relatives or trusted acquaintances through a power of attorney issued by the US authorities.
To carry out this process, you can use the lawyers within the consulates of Mexico located in the United States to provide legal assistance.
- Florida Shooting Survivors Rally for Stricter Gun Controls
- Taxi drivers aim to recover 40% of lost customers from Uber
- Billionaire Hotelier to Sell Hotel Reservations in Space
- Despite Price Deregulation in Mexico, Gasoline Continues to Rise
- Mexican agrifood sector rallies on
- Animal trafficking: a multi-billion dollar business on the rise in Mexico
- Mexico will become the 7th world market for solar energy
- The richest Latino in the U.S. arrives in Mexico with realty projects worth $2bn
- SkyAlert App can save lives in an earthquake
- Artificial Intelligence is Transforming Mexico’s Financial Sector
- Mexico’s IRS Chief Evaluates Blacklisting the United States as a Tax Haven (REFIPRE)
- America's Passion for Guns: Ownership and Violence by the Numbers