Méxicoleaks: Denunciation and TransparencyBy Fernanda Duque Hernández
A tool by the people for the benefit of Mexico
Because people deserve to know. Under this slogan, Free Press Unlimited, a Dutch organization that encourages the work of thousands of journalists worldwide, a group of Mexican media outlets and civil society groups, has launched Méxicoleaks, a website that provides people with a safe way to upload information of public interest.
According to Méxicoleaks, transparency through the participation of its citizens is what Mexican society needs to create a nation based on justice and democracy. The media group that has joined this civil initiative, has made the commitment to verify, investigate and spread the leaked information shared on this web platform.
Because of the classified nature of the information, and to guarantee safety, Méxicoleaks uses high-tech software designed to protect the identity of whistleblowers. Nobody, not even members of the group, can track the origin of uploaded information. The Mexican Constitution in fact protects the rights of journalists to keep their sources secret, even in a court of law.
The eight outlets that are so far involved in this commitment are: Proceso, Animal Político, Periodistas de A Pie, Emeequis, Más de 131, La Red de Derechos Digitales, Poder and the investigation team of the recognized Mexican journalist, Carmen Aristegui.
Méxicoleaks is the result of the efforts of the general public to improve government transparency by exposing acts of corruption, in the same way that countries such as Holland (Publics.nl) and those in the African continent (Afrileaks) have done.
- Trump backs down and signs executive order to 'keep families together'
- Despite uncertainty about the election, Mexico continues to attract investments
- On Saturday, repaving works start in Cancun’s hotel zone
- Mexican entrepreneurship project receives award in France
- Mexico's foreign minister and business leaders express outrage over ‘inhumane’ US immigration policy
- The Dow Jones industrial average turned negative as global trade war fears mount
- Canada legalizes recreational cannabis use
- EU to retaliate against US with counter-tariffs on Friday
- Mexican national team football shirt is best seller in the United States
- Scorpion catching is a dangerous trade that allows Durango’s locals to survive.
- Rafael Márquez , is only the third player in history to achieve the feat of playing in 5 world cups
- It’s not just in football that Mexico is superior to Germany