Mexico's beach hotels expect a record summerBy Elliot Bullman
Reservations are up 20 percent and average occupancy will exceed 73 percent, experts estimate.
Booking forecasts for beach hotels on Mexico are expected to be the highest in 13 years for the summer vacation season. It is very likely that those looking for hotel nights and flights to Mexico's main beaches during the upcoming summer vacation will no longer find availability.
Less than a month away from the start of the season, reports from David Rebolledo, CEO of online travel agency Best Day, reveal an increase in reservations of 20 percent to stay in Cancun, the Riviera Maya - mainly in Playa Del Carmen-Puerto Vallarta, Huatulco and Los Cabos, compared to a year ago.
"We expect hotel occupancy to increase by 1 to 2 percentage points this summer, we see many Mexicans acquiring packages and hotel like never before, and Cancun is the preferred destination for clients from Colombia, Argentina and Brazil "The executive stated.
The increased demand for lodging has caused employment to increase too.
Until mid-May, there were 132 thousand rooms between Los Cabos, Mazatlán, Vallarta, Manzanillo, Ixtapa, Acapulco, Puerto Escondido, Huatulco, Cancun and the Riviera Maya, 9 percent more than the summer offer 2016.
"The exchange rate of Banco de México reveals that in one year the peso has depreciated 1.5 percent, although compared to two years ago the slip is 15 percent. We see more Mexicans traveling within their own country, there is the program 'Conoce Primero Tus Playas', and also more international travellers come, "added the businessman.
Last year, 35 million foreign travellers arrived in Mexico and in the first quarter of 2017 there was an increase of 6 percent on an annualized basis, according to data from Banxico.
"So far this year, 23 new international flights have opened to different destinations in the country," said Teresa Solís Trejo, undersecretary of Planning and Tourism Policy Sectur.
According to data from the Confederation of National Chambers of Commerce, Services and Tourism, the summer vacations of 2016 left the country a spill of 348 billion pesos.
The main destinations that will lead the growth in hotel occupancy will be Puerto Vallarta, Huatulco, Acapulco and Playa del Carmen, according to businessmen.
The situation in Puerto Vallarta has improved compared to a year earlier, with new routes by Aeromar and Aero Calafia, as well as the international Southwest Airlines.
- Trump backs down and signs executive order to 'keep families together'
- Despite uncertainty about the election, Mexico continues to attract investments
- On Saturday, repaving works start in Cancun’s hotel zone
- Mexican entrepreneurship project receives award in France
- Mexico's foreign minister and business leaders express outrage over ‘inhumane’ US immigration policy
- The Dow Jones industrial average turned negative as global trade war fears mount
- Canada legalizes recreational cannabis use
- EU to retaliate against US with counter-tariffs on Friday
- Mexican national team football shirt is best seller in the United States
- Scorpion catching is a dangerous trade that allows Durango’s locals to survive.
- Rafael Márquez , is only the third player in history to achieve the feat of playing in 5 world cups
- It’s not just in football that Mexico is superior to Germany