Mini nuclear reactor prototype is designed in MexicoBy Valeria Bigurra Peñavera
The prototype of a nuclear mini reactor is currently under design at the Academic Unit of Nuclear Studies at the Autonomous University of Zacatecas (UAZ), and aims to serve as an instrument of research and teaching.
Ever since 1968, the university has had the model of a nuclear reactor in its grounds. Today, a team of experts in the field, made up of: Dr. Héctor René Vega Carrillo, Dr. Consuelo Letechipía de León, Professor Miguel Angel Salas Luevano, MSc Victor Martin Hernandez Davila and interns whose expertise is in nuclear science Claudia Rafela Escobedo Galván and Isvi Rubén Esparza Garcia, seeks to replicate the project specifications.
The project began in 2014 and has slowly been proving its viability, since it must meet certain parameters that are a fundamental part of its realization.
A nuclear reactor is a system that divides the nucleus of a heavy atom in smaller particles called subatomic occurs, and through this reaction a controlled amount of energy is generated.
The mini reactor (that has been used at the UAZ for almost half a century) is intended to serve as a teaching and experimentation tool, and also serves for the disposal of nuclear waste.
The first step was to calculate that the values in size and content correspond to the scale design. The second stage will consist on the physical construction of the mini reactor.
Rafaela Escobedo said through the press release of Mexico’s Council for Science, Technology and Innovation, one of the long-term plans is to create four to six mini reactors, in order to personalize learning.
- “Sudan” the world’s last male white rhino dies in Africa
- Facebook tracks a scary number of details about you
- Cambridge Analytica suspends CEO amid uproar over Facebook data leak
- “Yucatan’s good public safety is attracting foreign direct investment”
- By 2021, at least 40% of Latin America's GDP will be digitized: IDC
- China’s ride-hailing giant Didi Chuxing is planning to hit Uber where it hurts
- Migrations will increase by 2050 due to climate change: Central Bank
- Warrant Sought to Inspect Cambridge Analytica
- Why Pompeo will be key to Trump’s policy towards North Korea and Iran
- United Kingdom expels 23 Russian diplomats in the wake of former spy poisoning
- Apple and Disney Place First and Second with Millennials in 2018 Brand Affinity Study
- Trump Inspects Border Wall Prototypes in California