Minimum salary will rise 8.32 pesos in DecemberBy Elliot Bullman
As of December 1, the minimum wage will go to 88.36 pesos per day, compared to the current 80.04 pesos, as determined by the Council of Representatives of the National Commission of Minimum Wages, reported Coparmex.
The general minimum wage in Mexico will have an increase of 10.4 percent from December 1st, reported the Employers Confederation of the Mexican Republic (Coparmex).
The minimum wage will go to 88.36 pesos (4.71 dollars) per day compared to the current rate of 80.04 pesos per day as determined by the Council of Representatives of the National Commission of Minimum Wages (Conasami), said Coparmex in a statement.
Mexican President Enrique Peña Nieto said last month that he saw the renegotiation of NAFTA as a space to improve working conditions.
US trade representative, Robert Lighthizer, has said that the labour chapter of the treaty is complex and that the goal in the United States is to raise wages in Mexico as a measure to prevent companies from choosing to move their factories there due to the payment of lower wages.
Rafael Camarena, an economist at Grupo Financiero Santander Mexico explained that a 10 percent increase, or even 12 percent, could have a minimal impact on inflation, but a 15 percent increase or more could cause inflation and cause the Central Bank to raise interest rates.
Although few workers in Mexico earn the minimum wage, the Central Bank has said that increasing it could serve as a reference to pressure for generalized wage increases.
- “Sudan” the world’s last male white rhino dies in Africa
- Facebook tracks a scary number of details about you
- Cambridge Analytica suspends CEO amid uproar over Facebook data leak
- “Yucatan’s good public safety is attracting foreign direct investment”
- By 2021, at least 40% of Latin America's GDP will be digitized: IDC
- China’s ride-hailing giant Didi Chuxing is planning to hit Uber where it hurts
- Migrations will increase by 2050 due to climate change: Central Bank
- Warrant Sought to Inspect Cambridge Analytica
- Why Pompeo will be key to Trump’s policy towards North Korea and Iran
- United Kingdom expels 23 Russian diplomats in the wake of former spy poisoning
- Apple and Disney Place First and Second with Millennials in 2018 Brand Affinity Study
- Trump Inspects Border Wall Prototypes in California