MLB Teams in Mexico and Canada?By
There’s a high interest of expanding the current number of 30 clubs in the league.
There are certain topics that can easily be related to Mexico. Culture, traditions, cuisine, arts... But when we're talking about Mexicans there’s a statement we can make without hesitations: We do love our sports!
Mexican people support their teams with an almost religious zeal. Whether it is soccer, boxing, wrestling or baseball, every week entire families fill stadiums and arenas to enjoy a good match or fight, while enjoying a cold drink and a snack.
It goes then, without saying, that the prospect of having a Major League Baseball (MLB) team in Mexico is really big news!
A few days ago, Rob Manfred, the MLB Commissioner spoke of a chance of adding a couple of clubs to the existing ones, all in American territory. However, he also disclosed his thoughts on international expansion. Currently, the only MLB team outside of the United States is the Toronto Blue Jays, after the Montreal Expos moved to Washington in 2005.
Another topic addressed by the Major League Baseball executive was the need of implementing the new changes for instant replay reviews of umpires’ calls in addition to a possible eight-game season reduction.
Manfred also announced the launching of the Spanish version of MLB’s “At Bat” app for mobile devices, in addition to the StatCast player-tracking technology that will be offered in all major league stadiums. This feature will be included in the paid version of At Bat and during live broadcasts on television networks...
There is little doubt that the biggest news for Mexicans is the possibility of having their own MLB team (or teams for that matter).
In words of Manfred himself: “Canada is a big country and only has one major league team, and Mexico is certainly close enough that it would work...”.
- Spain and Mexico’s Trade Relations Curdle over Manchego Dispute
- Cape Town Water crisis: 'Day Zero' Draws Near
- MORGAN STANLEY: Here are the 6 internet stocks to bet on in 2018
- Ford announces $11B investment, 40 electrified vehicles by 2022 at Detroit Motor Show
- Automobile Revenues will fall 40% due to Electric and Autonomous Vehicles
- Mexico debuts its best startups for 2018 at CES
- Inside the Secret Society Running the World of Cryptocurrency
- Opinion: Who Will Profit Off the Next Crash?
- This is how Jeff Bezos will support the 'dreamers'
- Oil Reaches $70 a Barrel for First Time in Three Years
- Peso predicted to make comeback in 2018: Bloomberg
- Chihuahua´s governor denounces Government reprisals for PRI corruption investigation