MLB Teams in Mexico and Canada?By
There’s a high interest of expanding the current number of 30 clubs in the league.
There are certain topics that can easily be related to Mexico. Culture, traditions, cuisine, arts... But when we're talking about Mexicans there’s a statement we can make without hesitations: We do love our sports!
Mexican people support their teams with an almost religious zeal. Whether it is soccer, boxing, wrestling or baseball, every week entire families fill stadiums and arenas to enjoy a good match or fight, while enjoying a cold drink and a snack.
It goes then, without saying, that the prospect of having a Major League Baseball (MLB) team in Mexico is really big news!
A few days ago, Rob Manfred, the MLB Commissioner spoke of a chance of adding a couple of clubs to the existing ones, all in American territory. However, he also disclosed his thoughts on international expansion. Currently, the only MLB team outside of the United States is the Toronto Blue Jays, after the Montreal Expos moved to Washington in 2005.
Another topic addressed by the Major League Baseball executive was the need of implementing the new changes for instant replay reviews of umpires’ calls in addition to a possible eight-game season reduction.
Manfred also announced the launching of the Spanish version of MLB’s “At Bat” app for mobile devices, in addition to the StatCast player-tracking technology that will be offered in all major league stadiums. This feature will be included in the paid version of At Bat and during live broadcasts on television networks...
There is little doubt that the biggest news for Mexicans is the possibility of having their own MLB team (or teams for that matter).
In words of Manfred himself: “Canada is a big country and only has one major league team, and Mexico is certainly close enough that it would work...”.
- Mexico City, Thirsty and Sinking, Faces a Water Crisis
- Facebook's nightmare is about to get a lot worse
- Walmart opens its first 'Amazon style'store in Mexico
- Cancun 'spring breakers' welcomed with code of conduct
- “Sudan” the world’s last male white rhino dies in Africa
- Facebook tracks a scary number of details about you
- Cambridge Analytica suspends CEO amid uproar over Facebook data leak
- “Yucatan’s good public safety is attracting foreign direct investment”
- By 2021, at least 40% of Latin America's GDP will be digitized: IDC
- China’s ride-hailing giant Didi Chuxing is planning to hit Uber where it hurts
- Migrations will increase by 2050 due to climate change: Central Bank
- Warrant Sought to Inspect Cambridge Analytica