Quintana Roo is mourning; Nassim Joaquin Ibarra passed away ... A great pillar of the State’s historyBy Romina Martínez Sánchez
Today one of the great pioneers of Quintana Roo, the Tatich of Cozumel, Don Nassim Joaquin Ibarra has passed.
Man, husband, father, politician, businessman, visionary... legend.
"The world is full of good people, if you can´t find one, be one ...”
The story of Fausto Nassim Joaquin Ibarra begins many years ago when Quintana Roo was a Federal territory, and the municipality of Felipe Carrillo Puerto was the capital of the entity.
Born in Cozumel on July 16, 1916, Don Nassim Joaquin inherited from his father Pedro Joaquin the taste for business and started since a very young age with his entrepreneurial vision that positioned him as the first host of American tourists on the island; event that happened in 1949...
Dedication those years later was materialized in the Playa Azul Hotel, concession that Don Nassim obtained from the hands of the Governor of Quintana Roo in that time, Margarito Ramirez.
However, his visionary concern was not only in the tourism industry, he was a partner of the regional air company TAMSA, dealer in Mexicana de Aviacion, founder and owner of Aerocozumel, a shopping center that bears his name and numerous gas stations.
Several generations in the so-called Island of the Swallows, know him as Tatich –which means Patriarch- in Mayan language; because he has been a leader in the island for decades, thanks to his entrepreneurial vision and political influence.
His name has always been in the history of Quintana Roo, not only for his business, but for the great influence he had on the young entity. His son Pedro Joaquin Coldwell was the first governor of Quintana Roo in 1981; in 2005 his daughter Addy Joaquin Coldwell ran for governor of the State; and this year another of his sons, Carlos Joaquin Gonzalez, will be the head of the government of the entity starting on September 25th.
Quintana Roo lost a great man today, but we inherit a great legacy, and he will always be an important role model to follow.
His funeral mass will be at 4 p.m. in the Corpus Christi Church and later the burial will take place in Cementerio del Centro in the mausoleum of the Joaquin Family.
- “Sudan” the world’s last male white rhino dies in Africa
- Facebook tracks a scary number of details about you
- Cambridge Analytica suspends CEO amid uproar over Facebook data leak
- “Yucatan’s good public safety is attracting foreign direct investment”
- By 2021, at least 40% of Latin America's GDP will be digitized: IDC
- China’s ride-hailing giant Didi Chuxing is planning to hit Uber where it hurts
- Migrations will increase by 2050 due to climate change: Central Bank
- Warrant Sought to Inspect Cambridge Analytica
- Why Pompeo will be key to Trump’s policy towards North Korea and Iran
- United Kingdom expels 23 Russian diplomats in the wake of former spy poisoning
- Apple and Disney Place First and Second with Millennials in 2018 Brand Affinity Study
- Trump Inspects Border Wall Prototypes in California