The NFL is back to Mexico after 11 yearsBy Dania Vargas Austryjak
Receiving the Raiders and Texans
The NFL International Series played its last game in Mexico back in the year 2005, with a match between the San Francisco 49ers and Arizona Cardinals, and this year 2016 will be the year the NFL returns to Mexico! However, this time round with a game from the regular season between the Oakland Raiders and the Houston Texans.
Since last year, the NFL announced it was evaluating the possibility of taking a game to the Estadio Azteca in Mexico City as a way of expanding the International Series to the neighboring country. In fact, it sent out several times a contingent to the city, to make necessary evaluations on the stadium, which it did with strong persistence, demonstrating their interest of playing once again in Mexico.
The professional American football league was a bit hesitant about taking a game to Mexico, as both of the candidate stadiums needed work and communications infrastructure to host such event, but the Estadio Azteca is currently undergoing renovations for its upcoming 50th anniversary, so it’s the ideal place to have the NFL game.
There has been no official announcement just yet, but according to Mexican Sports Daily, Récord, this is a fact and that the game will be held on November 21, 2016. Arturo Olivé, director of the NFL office in Mexico said that the official announcement will be made until after the celebration of the Super Bowl 50.
- Trump backs down and signs executive order to 'keep families together'
- Despite uncertainty about the election, Mexico continues to attract investments
- On Saturday, repaving works start in Cancun’s hotel zone
- Mexican entrepreneurship project receives award in France
- Mexico's foreign minister and business leaders express outrage over ‘inhumane’ US immigration policy
- The Dow Jones industrial average turned negative as global trade war fears mount
- Canada legalizes recreational cannabis use
- EU to retaliate against US with counter-tariffs on Friday
- Mexican national team football shirt is best seller in the United States
- Scorpion catching is a dangerous trade that allows Durango’s locals to survive.
- Rafael Márquez , is only the third player in history to achieve the feat of playing in 5 world cups
- It’s not just in football that Mexico is superior to Germany