Introducing PetroBloc… a Mexican innovation in construction systemsBy Elliot Bullman
A group of Mexican engineers have pioneered a construction system made of expanded polystyrene, whose assembly is faster than traditional construction systems.
Petrobloc, which has already been introduced into the commercial market is a block of polystyrene foam that is filled with concrete and reinforced with a corrugated rod to solidify the structure, says research and development director of the Mexican company, Rogelio Puebla Márquez.
Benefits derived from Petrobloc include four times higher thermal insulation than traditional concrete block as well as high resistance to extreme wind and impacts.
Every crisis is a new opportunity
According to the businessman, Petrobloc came about as a result of the global economic crisis that hit the world in 2008. From that moment they realized that they had to innovate as a company if they wanted to survive. "Sales were down 30 percent, so we decided to develop our own products based on technology, hence the need to do research and look for products that we could adapt."
Thanks to their own resources and those granted to them by Conacyt, they managed to guide the development, conceptualization, industrial protection and implementation of the system.
In that context, Puebla Márquez said that this innovation generates about four million pesos a year for the company, whose main revenues come from sales to the maquiladora industry in the north of the country.
He also explained that the company is already working on another new construction system with the objective of generating 30 million pesos in revenues for the company.
- Trump backs down and signs executive order to 'keep families together'
- Despite uncertainty about the election, Mexico continues to attract investments
- On Saturday, repaving works start in Cancun’s hotel zone
- Mexican entrepreneurship project receives award in France
- Mexico's foreign minister and business leaders express outrage over ‘inhumane’ US immigration policy
- The Dow Jones industrial average turned negative as global trade war fears mount
- Canada legalizes recreational cannabis use
- EU to retaliate against US with counter-tariffs on Friday
- Mexican national team football shirt is best seller in the United States
- Scorpion catching is a dangerous trade that allows Durango’s locals to survive.
- Rafael Márquez , is only the third player in history to achieve the feat of playing in 5 world cups
- It’s not just in football that Mexico is superior to Germany