Pope Francis arrives in the United StatesBy Valeria Bigurra Peñavera
Pope Francis arrived in the United States on Tuesday, where he met with President Barack Obama. He is expected to speak to Congress and give a speech to the United Nations General Assembly.
President Barack Obama, First Lady Michelle Obama, and their two daughters, Sasha and Malia, along with a significant number of bishops – among them Cardinal Donald Wuerl of the Archdiocese of Washington – received Pope Francis at Andrews Air Force Base outside of Washington, D.C.
Having departed from Santiago de Cuba, where the Pope paid a 72 hour visit and officiated three Masses, the pontiff’s Alitalia flight landed at 15:50 local time in Washington, D.C. It is the first time this Pope has ever visited the United States, as the last Pope to visit the country was Benedict XVI in 2008.
"Pope Francis at Vargihna" by Tânia Rêgo/ABr - Agência Brasil. Licensed under CC BY 3.0 br via Commons
The first item on the agenda of the Pope will be a visit with Obama at the White House on Wednesday, where a turnout of 20,000 attendees is expected to be present on the White House grounds, where Francis will give a speech in English.
On Thursday the Pope is scheduled to deliver a speech to both houses of the U.S. Congress, where he will also use a balcony to greet the crowd. Approximately 50,000 people are expected at the event. Finally, Francis will meet with representatives of Catholic charitable groups in the United States, after which he will travel to New York.
Some of the topics that Francis and President Obama will be cover are climate change, Cuba, and poverty, among many others. This according to a White House official quoted by CNN.
- Spain and Mexico’s Trade Relations Curdle over Manchego Dispute
- Cape Town Water crisis: 'Day Zero' Draws Near
- MORGAN STANLEY: Here are the 6 internet stocks to bet on in 2018
- Ford announces $11B investment, 40 electrified vehicles by 2022 at Detroit Motor Show
- Automobile Revenues will fall 40% due to Electric and Autonomous Vehicles
- Mexico debuts its best startups for 2018 at CES
- Inside the Secret Society Running the World of Cryptocurrency
- Opinion: Who Will Profit Off the Next Crash?
- This is how Jeff Bezos will support the 'dreamers'
- Oil Reaches $70 a Barrel for First Time in Three Years
- Peso predicted to make comeback in 2018: Bloomberg
- Chihuahua´s governor denounces Government reprisals for PRI corruption investigation