Recharge your phone while walking or runningBy Fernanda Duque Hernández
University students create device to collect kinetic energy from the body and use it to charge their own phones
It’s highly probable that the following has happened to you: when you least expect it, your phone dies… You try and find a place to charge it but there are no electric outlets available! Familiar? To solution this situation, entrepreneurs from the National Polytechnic Institute (IPN), designed a device that will allow you to charge any type of mobile device with the energy produced by body motion.
“Inergia” is an electromagnetic system that resembles a knee pad that adapts to the joint with adjustable strips; inside it has a coil and a gear system that collects the kinetic energy produced by the human body while doing some sort of physical activity.
With this innovation it’s possible to store that energy and transfer it to a device such as smartphones or tablets. The responsible for this project are Andrés Mercado and Gerardo Jiménez students of Communications and Electronics Engineering; Alexis Reyna student of Control and Automation Engineering; and Lizeth Fuentes, graduate from theSchool of Business and Management.
“We thought of something we liked to do, which also corrected a problem or need; as the consumption of energy coming from non-renewable resources, for so the idea of taking advantage of the energy produced by the body on a daily basis which is wasted”, said Reyna Soto.
According to their creators, just by doing a light jog or walking around the city, “Inergia” can charge your phone in four hours; the charging time is reduced when the person increases the physical activity, which means running would be a great option.
The project developed by the IPN students, obtained third place at the Technologic Fair 2015 of Brazil, and is a finalist on “Atrévete a Emprender CDMX”, which could represent the incursion of the project in the market.
- Trump backs down and signs executive order to 'keep families together'
- Despite uncertainty about the election, Mexico continues to attract investments
- On Saturday, repaving works start in Cancun’s hotel zone
- Mexican entrepreneurship project receives award in France
- Mexico's foreign minister and business leaders express outrage over ‘inhumane’ US immigration policy
- The Dow Jones industrial average turned negative as global trade war fears mount
- Canada legalizes recreational cannabis use
- EU to retaliate against US with counter-tariffs on Friday
- Mexican national team football shirt is best seller in the United States
- Scorpion catching is a dangerous trade that allows Durango’s locals to survive.
- Rafael Márquez , is only the third player in history to achieve the feat of playing in 5 world cups
- It’s not just in football that Mexico is superior to Germany