A new Project: A Reef nursery in the Mexican Caribbean
During a press conference of the Cancun Underwater Museum, the Director of the Isla Mujeres, Punta Cancun and Punta Nizuc National Park, Mr. Jaime Gonzalez, announced that during this year 2014, a new reef nursery project will be introduced in the area.
This reef nursery will speed up the recovery time of all those coral reefs that were damaged by men or natural phenomena. And it is due to climate change that hurricanes or tropical storms are becoming more frequent and stronger, so the damage to the coral reefs is growing. It also seeks to repair the damage caused by man because this ecosystem has been eroded by stranding boats, poaching and recently by dredging that took place for the recovery of Cancun’s beaches.
Even though there aren’t concrete results on the matter, laboratories in the National Autonomous University of Mexico, along with the Xcaret eco-park and Puerto Morelos’ Academic Unit for Reef Systems, are carrying out special research works in the area, to implement a new reef nursery that may rehabilitate damaged zones.
It is a complex and meticulous process due to the ecosystem’s fragile composition; nonetheless after years of research, they have managed to improve the recollection system, as well as the fertilization process, which should make matters easier! The first lab tests have already been deposited and introduced into the waters, and by the end of the year we will be able to see if their adaptation to the natural ecosystem was successful.
Projects like the sort are already being introduced in places like the Dominican Republic, and the National Park “Alacranes” located 140 kilometers away from Puerto Progreso, Yucatan. This last one has had a transplant of 148 colonies, which were produced on PVC reefs, broadened across a 600 square meter surface.
These and other actions similar to it, may preserve this natural system! It is important we do as much as possible for the conservation of the environment, because thousands of species-colorful and exotic in the Mexican Caribbean- depend on it!
- Trump backs down and signs executive order to 'keep families together'
- Despite uncertainty about the election, Mexico continues to attract investments
- On Saturday, repaving works start in Cancun’s hotel zone
- Mexican entrepreneurship project receives award in France
- Mexico's foreign minister and business leaders express outrage over ‘inhumane’ US immigration policy
- The Dow Jones industrial average turned negative as global trade war fears mount
- Canada legalizes recreational cannabis use
- EU to retaliate against US with counter-tariffs on Friday
- Mexican national team football shirt is best seller in the United States
- Scorpion catching is a dangerous trade that allows Durango’s locals to survive.
- Rafael Márquez , is only the third player in history to achieve the feat of playing in 5 world cups
- It’s not just in football that Mexico is superior to Germany