Rogue One breaks Disney's Box Office Record
Walt Disney Studios crushed box office records this year, becoming the first to break $7 billion globally.
The December release ofRogue One: A Star Wars Story,which raked in almost $300 million its opening weekend, may have pushedDisney over the top, but it was a trio of billion-dollar films that set the stage for the most dominant year ever from a moviemaker.
Globally, Disney has the four top grossing films of the year:Captain America: Civil War,Finding Dory,Zootopia, andThe Jungle Book (the only one not to hit 10figures). IfRogue Oneends up defeating Universal Studios’sThe Secret Life of Pets, which made just over $875 million, Disney will have all five.
Furthermore, Disney’s roll is expected to continue into 2017,with additionalMarvel superhero movies slated to go along with the next episode of theStar Warssaga and a reboot ofBeauty and the Beast.
Much of Disney’s success was spurred by three major acquisitions. The media giant spent more than $15 billion to buy Marvel, Pixar, and Lucasfilm. Each produced a big hit this year. So did Walt Disney Pictures and Disney Animation Studios.
- Spain and Mexico’s Trade Relations Curdle over Manchego Dispute
- Cape Town Water crisis: 'Day Zero' Draws Near
- MORGAN STANLEY: Here are the 6 internet stocks to bet on in 2018
- Ford announces $11B investment, 40 electrified vehicles by 2022 at Detroit Motor Show
- Automobile Revenues will fall 40% due to Electric and Autonomous Vehicles
- Mexico debuts its best startups for 2018 at CES
- Inside the Secret Society Running the World of Cryptocurrency
- Opinion: Who Will Profit Off the Next Crash?
- This is how Jeff Bezos will support the 'dreamers'
- Oil Reaches $70 a Barrel for First Time in Three Years
- Peso predicted to make comeback in 2018: Bloomberg
- Chihuahua´s governor denounces Government reprisals for PRI corruption investigation