Star Wars: the Last Jedi takes $450m on opening weekendBy Elliot Bullman
The latest Star Wars film generated more than $450m global ticket sales on its opening weekend.
Fans of Star Wars had to wait more than two years to see a new chapter of the saga, with the premiere on Friday December 15 of "The Last Jedi".
The Hollywood Reporter specialized site reported Sunday that "The Last Jedi" entered 220 million dollars in its first weekend in the United States, the second best performance of all time.
It trails behind the 2015 release Star Wars: The Force Awakens, which opened with a record-breaking $248m (£167m).
Star Wars: The Last Jedi is the eighth instalment of the 40-year-old space saga and is directed by Rian Johnson, whose credits include Brick and Looper.
The film has been widely praised by critics, and has a score of 93% on the film review website Rotten Tomatoes.
However fans of the science fiction saga are divided between love and hate for the new movie, although in economic terms it has been a success.
It is estimated that "Star Wars: The Last Jedi" could generate around 425 million dollars worldwide, with what would be behind "The Fate of the Furious" (2017), which reached 542 million; "Star Wars: The Force Awakens", which won 529 million; "Jurassic World", which entered 525 million; and "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2" (2011), with 438 million.
- Spain and Mexico’s Trade Relations Curdle over Manchego Dispute
- Cape Town Water crisis: 'Day Zero' Draws Near
- MORGAN STANLEY: Here are the 6 internet stocks to bet on in 2018
- Ford announces $11B investment, 40 electrified vehicles by 2022 at Detroit Motor Show
- Automobile Revenues will fall 40% due to Electric and Autonomous Vehicles
- Mexico debuts its best startups for 2018 at CES
- Inside the Secret Society Running the World of Cryptocurrency
- Opinion: Who Will Profit Off the Next Crash?
- This is how Jeff Bezos will support the 'dreamers'
- Oil Reaches $70 a Barrel for First Time in Three Years
- Peso predicted to make comeback in 2018: Bloomberg
- Chihuahua´s governor denounces Government reprisals for PRI corruption investigation